Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > No Sparge Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Beerens
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

jkarp that makes the most sense... My thought was that if you added more chocolate malt it would add more flavor. In my head, the no sparge method only effects the efficiency of the conversion in the base malts not the flavor contributions of the other malts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
carp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

First let me preface my comments by saying that I have no experience with no-sparge - I batch sparge.

With that disclaimer - I would not expect that the lower efficiency of no-sparge has anything to do with conversion. My understanding is that conversion takes place over the course of the rest, e.g. the 1 hour that your grains and water sit at say 152.

I expect that the inefficiency is a result of not getting that good second and third 'rinse' of the sugars (and flavors) which have already been converted during the rest.

If this is the case, then it would seem that one would be failing to rinse & collect the sugars and flavors from the specialty malts to the same degree that one was leaving behind the sugars from the base malt.

If this is correct then one should increase all the grains in proportion.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have done both, and I defenitly take an efficiency hit with no sparge, down from the low 80s to upper 60s. Have you tried batch sparging with the valve on your MLT almost wide open? I do this now and batch sparging only takes 10-15 minutes and I get great (78-86%) efficiency.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
actually, it does take longer. it takes the length of the sparge longer. if you sparge for 30 minutes, it takes 30 minutes longer.
Batch sparging generally takes about 10 minutes more than no sparge assuming you've got the water at temp when you're running off.

Also, it would take longer to heat up a full volume of strike water than it would to heat up a partial volume (like you would if you're going to sparge). Therefore you start the mash that much sooner. It's probably a wash.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
Beerens
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I may be wrong but I recall that a thicker mash will improve the conversion of your starches. I believe that it has to do with the proximity of the enzymes to the starch. With a thinner mass the enzymes are spread out over a wider area so conversion does not happen as quickly. Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

Old 11-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #16
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Most people don't keep checking for conversion and then run off when it's done or at least I don't. I just mash for 60min unless I know for sure that the bill is enzyme light.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply