New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > No more hop shortage here...ebay score!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
If they were stored properly, vacuum or inert gas packed and in a freezer, you should see little to no reduction in AA%.

That looks like a good score OP. I payed $30 for that same pack of Galena around April.
According to beersmith, it depends on the hop type. They have a good tool in their software that goes by storage method and temp stored at. I would use this calculator on any hops over a year old.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
I am holding out hope, but I had to break down and buy hops at the LHBS that were from 2007 so I could brew last night because I need to transfer it to dry hop while I am gone for Christmas and couldn't wait any longer.

When/If they come, I will be very happy. I am at 10 days and counting, so by your experience, I should get them any day now.
Mine definitely took more than 2 weeks, could have been nearly 3 even. He ships them surface mail (which is why shipping is so cheap), but they came vacuum packed in good shape. I got the sense from my e-mails with Ray that he gets everything together for several people's orders before he sends stuff, so that is probably part of the delay. I'm pretty sure it was part of the delay for mine.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my Cascade hops and your order!

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 12-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #13
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkling View Post
Mine definitely took more than 2 weeks, could have been nearly 3 even. He ships them surface mail (which is why shipping is so cheap), but they came vacuum packed in good shape. I got the sense from my e-mails with Ray that he gets everything together for several people's orders before he sends stuff, so that is probably part of the delay. I'm pretty sure it was part of the delay for mine.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my Cascade hops and your order!
Ahh, that adds a little more to the puzzle. He told me that he sends out shipments twice a week and that it takes 2-9 days. He told me that last Tuesday the 9th.
On tap: #77 Perfect Porter, #78 Mild 1.038 > 1.009, Flanders, RIS, Barleywine
Fermenting: #74 Saison with 3711 #75 Saison with WLP565 + Brett C
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Smoked Porter 1.063 10/11, pepper RIS 1.088 7/11, Kriek, 1.052 12/11, Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12

Old 12-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
visitor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Just make sure to stay away from user sunburst66. I order 1.5 pounds the other week and still have not received the hops and cannot get him to respond to any emails
I also ordered 1.5#'s from this seller and waited two weeks, no hops. I e-mailed him and he said sorry they went out today. Another week and a half go by and I finally received 0.5 pounds. I waited another few days and e-mailed him asking where the rest of my won auction was. He said sorry I must have sent them to someone else by accident, for your trouble I'll send another 1.5#'s! Another two weeks have gone by so I e-mailed him last night asking where the balance of my order is. Still hoping this turns out for the best. Of the original 0.5#'s I received I used 3 oz's for dry hopping and they smelled great!

At this point I'd have to say I probably won't be ordering from this seller again.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #15
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor View Post
I also ordered 1.5#'s from this seller and waited two weeks, no hops. I e-mailed him and he said sorry they went out today. Another week and a half go by and I finally received 0.5 pounds. I waited another few days and e-mailed him asking where the rest of my won auction was. He said sorry I must have sent them to someone else by accident, for your trouble I'll send another 1.5#'s! Another two weeks have gone by so I e-mailed him last night asking where the balance of my order is. Still hoping this turns out for the best. Of the original 0.5#'s I received I used 3 oz's for dry hopping and they smelled great!

At this point I'd have to say I probably won't be ordering from this seller again.
Yeah, I am sitting at 12 days since I paid him and have not received anything. Also, I received one replay 9 days ago, but have sent 3 emails since then for a tracking number and have not got any response. I don't know what this guys problem is. I am brewing tomorrow and needed the hops I ordered from him. My LHBS is like $5/oz and their from 2007 to top it off. So I am going to get raped this weekend at the LHBS because I don't have these hops.......again.
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Smoked Porter 1.063 10/11, pepper RIS 1.088 7/11, Kriek, 1.052 12/11, Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12

Old 12-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #16
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

subscribed...

Honestly, I would rather pay more for good hops than buy on ebay. I got a pound of centennial of ebay last year that was horrible... Cheesy with yellow mold... Seller would not respond at all.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 12-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #17
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Lopez View Post
subscribed...

Honestly, I would rather pay more for good hops than buy on ebay. I got a pound of centennial of ebay last year that was horrible... Cheesy with yellow mold... Seller would not respond at all.
Well lesson learned I guess. I just hope next years crops pick it up a bit and we don't have to pay out the nose for them.

Although I am hoping to grow my own next year, but can't expect too much in the first year.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #18
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can get hops around here for about 2.50/oz, so I'm happy enough. I just ordered 3 lbs from Nikobrew that will last me for my american IPAs/PAs, etc...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 12-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #19
nosmatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i bought 09's worth of hops today from freshops. 51 dollars for 20oz of darned near impossible to find hops a few weeks ago. sure, i will need some staple hops (willamette, ekg etc..), but these are all the bittering hops needed im thinkin... add that to a half lb of magnum and nuggets i have in the freezer....well, this is how im going to justify the purchase to SWMBO anyway
$2.50 an oz for simcoe, amarillo, chinook is not bad at all these days it seems.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #20
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Lopez View Post
subscribed...

Yea I realize there is risk involved...the pics show the bags nicely vac packed in the mylar bags so we will see??

My LHBS gets 2.75 / oz. At those prices and quantities, when i buy there it reminds me of my younger days buying bags in the back woods hah!

Maybe i'm lucky, I've bought a boat load of various stuff on ebay and never been disappointed.

Mike

Quick Reply