Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > No carbonation, could recipe be wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Who gave you this recipe? Definitely seems under hopped for such a big beer. Also, when using extract it's generally best to use the lightest you can get and then use steeped grains for additional color/flavor.
As for your carbonation issue, can you describe your bottling procedure with a little more detail? Maybe the sugar wasn't thoroughly mixed. Maybe your caps aren't tight. Maybe you didn't leave any headspace. Need more details...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
dgr
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Let's see if this makes more sense.

Take a gravity reading on one of the beers. If it is higher than 1.014 then your yeast didn't ferment the bottling sugar and is kaput. Get some champagne yeast, dip all your bottle necks in starsan, open, drop a few grains of yeast in them and recap.

If the reading is 1.014 or lower, the yeast ate the priming sugar and your capper is FUBAR and didn't seal the caps or you forgot the sugar at bottling time. That will require you to prime each bottle with a small amount of sugar or carb tabs. I think the amount is 1 tsp or one sugar cube but you should check on that.

Another option. Pour 50/50 this beer and another beer in a glass and drink.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Well, it is not the recipe that is the problem. It is a big beer so it might take longer. It could be badly sealed caps. Checking the gravity as dgr suggested would give a starting point.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
texas red
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
Who gave you this recipe?
I got the recipe and ingredients from Austin Homebrew.

Definitely seems under hopped for such a big beer. Also, when using extract it's generally best to use the lightest you can get and then use steeped grains for additional color/flavor.

Tell me about it. You can't even taste that we added any hops. We steeped the grains in 2 gallons of water for 25 minutes. Then added 1 gallon of water and brought it to a boil.

As for your carbonation issue, can you describe your bottling procedure with a little more detail? Maybe the sugar wasn't thoroughly mixed. Maybe your caps aren't tight. Maybe you didn't leave any headspace. Need more details...
We put the glass carboy on the counter a few hours before transferring. Then dissolved the sugar in the water and poured it into the primary. Then we transferred the beer in and stirred it around. Then we filled our clean bottles with the filler until the beer was to the top of the opening. Then attached our preboiled caps onto the bottle using a clamp on capper. (sorry, I don't know what the gadget is called) When looking at the 12oz amber long neck, there is 1 3/4 from the top of the beer to the top of the cap.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
texas red
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Let's see if this makes more sense.

Take a gravity reading on one of the beers. If it is higher than 1.014 then your yeast didn't ferment the bottling sugar and is kaput. Get some champagne yeast, dip all your bottle necks in starsan, open, drop a few grains of yeast in them and recap.

If the reading is 1.014 or lower, the yeast ate the priming sugar and your capper is FUBAR and didn't seal the caps or you forgot the sugar at bottling time. That will require you to prime each bottle with a small amount of sugar or carb tabs. I think the amount is 1 tsp or one sugar cube but you should check on that.
This, I can understand!
Another option. Pour 50/50 this beer and another beer in a glass and drink.
This sounds like a great solution, too! I was so bummed. I really didn't want to pour another batch out.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
texas red
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Well, it is not the recipe that is the problem. It is a big beer so it might take longer.
Maybe I just need to be more patient....I just get anxious, you know?

It could be badly sealed caps. Checking the gravity as dgr suggested would give a starting point.
I'm going to follow dgr's advice. If I open a beer that I know to be carbonated, say one of the Sierra Nevada's I have in the fridge, could I recap it and wait a day or two to see if it's carbonated? Would that be a way to test my bottle capping device? Any advice on how to test the capper and caps I have?

Old 09-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
dgr
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 39

That will work fine but it might take some time to lose the carbonation. I've poured a beer out of a 22 oz bottle and recapped them for later consumption. You could open one, recap, shake and spray some starsan on it or stick the neck in some liquid and look for bubbles.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
texas red
Recipes 

That's brilliant!

Thanks, Mozart, chickypad, Demus, dgr, and kh54s10 for so much the solid advice. Seriously, I was moments away from dumping this onto my compost.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd email Austin HB too. That's a jacked up recipe and wouldn't come close to a DIPA in any conditions. They're pretty reputable and should take care of you in some way...

Old 09-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #20
texas red
Recipes 

Couldn't hurt, right? Everyone there has always been so helpful and patient. I really like the fact that they're super knowledgeable and they don't mind sharing what they know. Do you think taking a bottle to them would be bad form? Do you know what I mean? I don't want to be "that person".

Quick Reply