Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Ninkasi Oatis Stout Clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #21
Kelpdog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadass

What was your hop schedule?

My batch is in bottles right now, waiting another couple of weeks for carbing and aging. I've tested... two bottles so far I think. Pretty good, but I actually liked the hydrometer samples I took during fermentation even more (I finished every last one of them).
I think just waiting for the carbonation and flavors to mellow and meld is all that's needed. some of the sharper green beer flavors sort of detract from the body right now, which is what I'm most interested in testing with the watered-out 1.06-ish OG. Curious to see if our batches will have similarity discrepancies vs the original.

As far as the starter, I'd imagine a lot of people would chill and decant a starter of that size.. depending on the beer I spose
My hop schedule was 1.75 oz at 60 min ( 43 IBU), and .5 oz at 15 minutes (9 IBU). 52 IBU total.

I hadn't read about chilling and decanting...most of the "how-to" descriptions I'd read focus on why to do starters and how to do them. This,was only the third or fourth one I have done. Makes good sense to chill and decant though one loses the immediately active yeast I suppose.

The Nottingham fermented hard and fast.m airlock activity stopped after 2.5 days. The London ESB stayed consistent with regular activity for six days. Both fermented at 64F. Plan to let them sit for another week or two. I usually rack to secondary, but am considering not racking unless choosing to add oak to some or all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #22
kingogames
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I agree, that's the best Oatmeal Stout I've had this year. Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout is a close second though!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #23
Kelpdog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Bottling tonight finally. The difference between yeasts is HUGE! The Notty finished at 1.014 and has a notably high bitter note on the finish. Definitely not as clean and the roast flavors lack depth. Not unpleasant but nothing special either. The Wyeast London ESB on the other hand finished at 1.020 and is smooth with lots of depth and character. I wish I had an Oatis to compare my Oatish to....by memory seems pretty close. Looking forward to a carbed version. For those who've brewed this, how long did you bottle condition?

Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #24
Beernip
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What temp did you ferment at? Oatis should have a SG of 1.072 and a FG of around 1.015.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #25
Kelpdog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernip View Post
What temp did you ferment at? Oatis should have a SG of 1.072 and a FG of around 1.015.
Fermented at 64F on both the Nottingham and Wyeast 1968.

My o.g. was low at 1.064. This was my first batch over 6 gallons and I thought it was due to mash/sparge water to grain ratio. However I brewed a 6 gallon batch last weekend and ended up with a 68% efficiency as well. Might be that the LHBS has changed their grain mill. Typically averaged around 80% efficiency before these batches.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #26
Beernip
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

With that yeast I've found that it is great to start at 63-64* and let it ferment out about 70% when the krasussen just starts to fall and then slowly ramp up to 68*. It isn't a very flocculant yeast and can get an extra two points off by using my thief to gently swirl up the yeast cake at the bottom over the last few days. We have a few breweries in town (Ninkasi and Eugene City Brewing/Rogue) that use that yeast and get dumps on occasion. From what I've been told by those brewers the first few generations are not the best. Starting around the 4-9 generation that they reuse is optimal and they don't go over 13.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #27
Kelpdog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernip
With that yeast I've found that it is great to start at 63-64* and let it ferment out about 70% when the krasussen just starts to fall and then slowly ramp up to 68*. It isn't a very flocculant yeast and can get an extra two points off by using my thief to gently swirl up the yeast cake at the bottom over the last few days. We have a few breweries in town (Ninkasi and Eugene City Brewing/Rogue) that use that yeast and get dumps on occasion. From what I've been told by those brewers the first few generations are not the best. Starting around the 4-9 generation that they reuse is optimal and they don't go over 13.
Good advice as it turns out! Despite steady hydro readings I'm guessing the 1968 had not fermented out as the bottles are gushers. No bottle bombs but something of which to be wary. Tasting side by side with an Oatis, the Nottingham is much closer. It lacks a little in mouthfeel, probably from the starting gravity difference. Both of the clones are more chocolately than the oatis. I prefer the 1968. We are hosting a stout tasting today with a mix of homebrews and commercial versions and styles. It will be interesting to learn others impressions.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #28
buzzerj
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I thought you used Wyeast 1968 not 1028. Which yeast was it? I'm really getting to like the versatility of 1968 in a range of British style beers.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 AM   #29
Kelpdog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

1968 is correct....thanks for catching that. Edited the post.

Quick Reply