The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Newbie here, experimenting. Input needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
wulfsburg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Newbie here, experimenting. Input needed

I am doing the following recipe

.75 lb Garmbrinus Honey Malt
.25 lb Dingemans Biscuit

6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
1 oz cluster hops

It is currently in my primary.

I am thinking of racking into a secondary with 5 lbs of pasteurized strawberries.
Would this be a good combination to make a
"strawberry cream ale" ?

The only reason I am picking strawberries is because they are on sale at my local supermarket for 84c a lb for fresh ones.

Whadda you guys think? I am a newb, as this is only my 4th batch of beer, but I want to give it a twist from the brewers best kit that I bought.

Also, after I rack it to secondary with the fruit ( I only have a 5 gallon carboy for a secondary... primary is a 6.5 pail), will I need to rig a blow off valve (given it is full to the neck)?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

I believe you will definitely need a blow=off tube for the berries. also, I would pastuerize them to 160-170 for 10 mins to kill of any bad natural yeast. Sounds like it could be nice. Good luck!

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I ended up using 1 big can of Oregon peach puree and I just bottled it today. It primaried for 1 week and secondaried for 1 week with the puree. I tasted it prior to bottling and I have a feeling its gonna be 5x better a month from now. It was sweet, but you couldn't really distinguish the peach. I will let you know how it turned out in month!

Tags
blonde, cream ale, fruit, strawberries

Quick Reply