Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Zealand Hops are the cats meow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
OldWorld
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Default New Zealand Hops are the cats meow

I'm only using new zealand hops from now on. Unless of course I get free samples or holiday gifts.

I love new Zealand hops..Here is my experience so far.

Greenbullet:clean bitter, excellent dual use hop...bitter and aroma are great.

Pacificgem:High alpha acid cutie really packs a bunch, again also amazing aroma.

Riwaka:The most oily of noble hop character you can get. I love this hop...love it to death...super duper aroma/bittering hop. If you want to make a single hop beer that is sessionable and potent this is the one.

Southerncross:This high alpha acid beauty is the quintessential bitter It's right on the tip of the tongue and gets in in the back of the throat on the last gulp. Wonderful hop.

I'm not going to say american hops are no good. But New Zealand hops have a character that can be identifiable and I love it. I'll keep using them until the supply gets hard to find.

Most of the ones my homebrewshop has are from the 2010 and 09...The 09 Riwaka was awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You forgot Nelson Sauvin. Hands down my favorite hop.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 11-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
bnmir
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I dry hopped a saison with motueka, incredible aroma.

Fast Dogs Brooing

Old 11-25-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think NZ hops are a great addition to the hops we all know and love. It'd be good to combine what folks specifically perceive from each variety in this thread. Overall I find NZ hops to be very smooth and super fruity. I find most on their own need to be blended with US citrus hops to get a pleasing IPA profile. My perception of the ones I've tried:

- Nelson S: Super strong aromatic and flavor. Does anyone really know WTF gooseberries smell like?? C'mon! I get a very resiny, slight grapefruit, uniquely dank flavor. Aroma is unique as well, VERY resiny, some pine, a touch of citrus. A standout and nothing like it.

- Motueka: I really like this hop. Not as fruity as most NZ hops, a bit more of a balance between the fruit and citrus characteristics of US citrus hops.

- Pacifica: Very fruity flavor and aroma, leaning towards peach/apricot.

- Pacific Gem: A turbo-charged Fuggles. I don't like Fuggles, so this hop was not for me.

- Riwaka: I think this is as close as a NZ hop gets to being US 'C' in character. A bit smoother tho'.

- Rakau: Slight spice mixed with fruit and a touch of citrus. Smooth.

- Galaxy: I know this is Aussie, but it's a new/exotic so thought I'd throw it on this list. Very strong fruit flavor and aroma, like a turbo Pacifica.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Shhhhh. Don't let everyone know or else there will be a shortage of NZ hops or the price will dramatically rise.

Time to schedule a trip to visit good friends in NZ. Thanks for the reminder...

Old 11-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I love Nelson Sauvin and Pacific Gem to death. Nelson Sauvin, IMO, makes the best single hop IPA ever.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
trent
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

I just finished an IPA with all Rakau, so I can't wait to taste it. It's dry hopped primed and carbed in the keg, just waiting for an open tap. Can't wait to try it, and I just bought a pound of Nelson.

Sweet.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default Great Descriptions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastricky View Post
I think NZ hops are a great addition to the hops we all know and love. It'd be good to combine what folks specifically perceive from each variety in this thread. Overall I find NZ hops to be very smooth and super fruity. I find most on their own need to be blended with US citrus hops to get a pleasing IPA profile. My perception of the ones I've tried:

- Nelson S: Super strong aromatic and flavor. Does anyone really know WTF gooseberries smell like?? C'mon! I get a very resiny, slight grapefruit, uniquely dank flavor. Aroma is unique as well, VERY resiny, some pine, a touch of citrus. A standout and nothing like it.

- Motueka: I really like this hop. Not as fruity as most NZ hops, a bit more of a balance between the fruit and citrus characteristics of US citrus hops.

- Pacific Gem: A turbo-charged Fuggles. I don't like Fuggles, so this hop was not for me.

- Riwaka: I think this is as close as a NZ hop gets to being US 'C' in character. A bit smoother tho'.

- Galaxy: I know this is Aussie, but it's a new/exotic so thought I'd throw it on this list. Very strong fruit flavor and aroma, like a turbo Pacifica.
Great descriptions. Thanks for taking the time to post this - takes the guess work out of things.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
BeerLogic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastricky View Post

I don't know about gooseberries, but every beer I've made with Nelson had a distinct sauvignon blanc grape flavor when young. I also get a little bit of a hibiscus flavor in paler brews with motueka.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #10
moose123
Recipes 

All the beers I have had that use Nelson have a strong B.0 smell. I used them a few times in my ipa thinking it was an infection but one of local brewery here did a NZ ipa and a Nelson ipa and I was overwhelmed by B.O( am I the only one??

Quick Reply