The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > A New Year's Eve Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
SkaBoneBenny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A New Year's Eve Beer?

Perhaps I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, but I'm trying to decide on what a good New Year's Eve beer would be. A large group of my friends are getting together as we always do on New Years and I thought I'd "sponsor" the gathering with a batch of beer brewed just for the occassion.

Anyways, I'm trying to decide on a good brew for a large group of people with a variety of tastes. More importantly, I want a beer that will usher in the new year. Not too heavy and wintery, but still with some character. Right now I'm thinking either a Pale Ale of some kind, or maybe an Oktoberfest. Call it Decemberfest or something. Anyways, any ideas would be appreciated. I really want to have a good time with this.
-Ben

Thinking About: Strawberries and Cream Ale

Primary Fermenter: Nuthin...

Secondary Fermenter:"C-4 IPA!", American Wheat

Conditioning: 4 C's IPA

Drinkin': 4 C's American Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
uwmgdman

Recipes 

I was thinking of making a beer for similar reasons, I still haven't decided, but I think I might try a dunkelweissen. I never have made one but it sounds like a good beer and one that I think a lot of people might enjoy, basically a wheat beer jazzed up with some crystal and maybe some munich or vienna.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Imperial IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Old 10-30-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I know what I'm having!

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-31-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Nice....I'll have to keep my eyes open for something like that when I go to the liquor store tomorrow.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Imperial IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Old 10-31-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Mark Victor at Golden Valley brews a higher gravity version of his IPA, then ages it in used wine barrels before bottling it methode champaign with the neck freezing, etc. Bridal Ale was originally done by Pelican for the wedding of two employees (don't try dating at work in California). It's maltier and isn't as highly hopped as Mark's Brut. I don't know how many breweries do this style, but I suspect in five years any beer lover will be able to to toast in the New Year properly.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-31-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Mark Victor at Golden Valley brews a higher gravity version of his IPA, then ages it in used wine barrels before bottling it methode champaign with the neck freezing, etc. Bridal Ale was originally done by Pelican for the wedding of two employees (don't try dating at work in California). It's maltier and isn't as highly hopped as Mark's Brut. I don't know how many breweries do this style, but I suspect in five years any beer lover will be able to to toast in the New Year properly.
David, the DeuS Brut des Flandres is f'n amazing. I wish I was masterful enough to try the riddling process, etc.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwmgdman
I was thinking of making a beer for similar reasons, I still haven't decided, but I think I might try a dunkelweissen. I never have made one but it sounds like a good beer and one that I think a lot of people might enjoy, basically a wheat beer jazzed up with some crystal and maybe some munich or vienna.
My Wheat Doppelbock (basically a hybrid dunkelweizen / doppelbock) is bottle conditioning right now. I can't wait. Tasted it at bottling...wow. The alcohol is massive! It even has this faint licorice/anise aroma, even though I used no adjuncts. I just bottled it on Sunday, though, so I've got to give it awhile, let the alcohol calm down. I'll post my recipe if you want. I was trying to make an Schneider Aventinus clone...don't think I hit that, though...probably didn't use enough wheat malt, but we'll see. I went by the traditional ratios for Bavarian wheat beers, even went on the high side.

Anyway, I highly recommend brewing a wheat doppelbock. If you're going to go the dunkelweizen route, might as well go all the way

I also brewed a honey-ginger winter warmer lagerale that will be rocking my holidays with its 9.34% ABV

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-31-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Hey Evan, I'd like to see that wheat doppelbock recipe. Thanx - Ev

Old 10-31-2006, 11:39 PM   #9
Bigfoot99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check out the May/June 2006 issue of Zymurgy; there is an article on brewing champagne beers. Looked like a good idea for New Years.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evets
Hey Evan, I'd like to see that wheat doppelbock recipe. Thanx - Ev
ditto ............(dots to fill needed character minimum)

Quick Reply