New Year, New Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I brewed today and was using up some older inventory, so I whipped up this interesting 16 gallon batch fashioned after my Haus Ale.

24# Pils
4# Vienna
2# Wheat
1# Crystal 15L
11 oz. Caravienne

Mashed at 152 for 60 minutes.

90 minute vigorous boil.

3 oz. Cascade 60 Minutes 8.0 %
2 oz Cascade 30 minutes 5.1%
1 oz Cascade 15 minutes 5.1%
1 oz Cascade 5 minutes. 5.1%

Chilled to 70 degrees and pitched on a Safale-05 yeast cake.

The 90 minute boil and low mash temperature left me with only 15 gallons at 1.062, but it's a lovely golden brew. I think I'll dry hop this with some Amarillo.

NewYearBeer.jpg

Looks like a nice easy drinking session beer. A pils base with some crystal and vienna for a caramel hint and the wheat for a little body and head retention? Gotta love cascades as well...what kind of IBUs does that work out to in a 15 gallon batch anyway?

Let us know how it turns out.

Chris

I think it comes in at around 50 IBUs. It's going to be an IPA most likely. It should ferment out to about 6.5% abv.

I'll let you know. I crash cooled it to 32 for a couple weeks till I found time to keg it. The hydrometer jar was very tasty and SWMBO gave it two thumbs up.

It's an experiment to prove that unmilled grain stored in my garage for almost two years can still make good beer. :D

I served this at the Bulk Grain Pickup Day on Sunday and folks seemed to enjoy it. I think it turned out pretty darn tasty, though a wee big at 6.9% abv.

It was fitting to serve it on the 2nd anniversary of a bulk grain buy since it was made using grain from the very first buy 2 years ago.

We called it Aged Blond. :D

Back