The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #21
MattD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Why all the bumps?

FWIW, I my first brew was a 5 gallon batch with 6.6# of amber LME and a pound of crystal, and the OG for that turned out at 35, compared to the predicted OG of about 50. So I had that same issue, and I don't really know the answer. My prevailing theory is that we're not mixing the wort up well enough after we top up to 5 gal, so more of the sugar is sitting on the bottom of the container. Since we typically draw our gravities from the top, we get an artificially low reading. I could be completely wrong, but it's the best I can come up with

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #22
miafunk2003
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the bump put my thread up to the top so people take a look at my question. your explanation for the low OG sound like that could be the reason...but i think i know why it happened to me...first i was only doing a 1.5 gallon wort boil which i would then add to the primary fermenter with 3.5 gallon of cold water in order to reach the 5 gallons...but of course it didnt come out to that it came out to 4.5 gallons due to evaporation so i added another .5 gallons which in total is really 5.5-5.75 gallons of water thus more water less sugar = lower OG....i think thats why i got the low OG

Old 10-08-2006, 03:19 AM   #23
MattD
Recipes 

actually evaporation doesn't remove any sugar. If you have 5 gallons of wort at a SG of 1.050, and you let a bunch of it evaporate, you'll wind up with for instance 4.5 gallons of wort at a higher SG, maybe 1.060 (I'm just pulling numbers out of the air here...). As soon as you top it back up to 5 gallons with new water though, the SG will return to 1.050.

Quick Reply