Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Hop Variety: Belma- Puterbaugh Farms
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #31
jtejedor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 651
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Pretty crazy apparently they found it growing near a shed on the farm. Hopefully they will be available in pellets I would love to try them.

__________________
jtejedor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #32
d_striker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CO Springs, CO
Posts: 310
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman View Post
Btw when buying whole hops do they usually add a good amount more like they do with the pellets?
In my experience, it's pretty close to a lb.
__________________
d_striker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #33
chemicalcraig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 75
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_striker View Post
In my experience, it's pretty close to a lb.
Yeah, I think the days of getting overstuffed bags of hops from hopsdirect is long gone. I've been buying from them for a few years now and have never gotten more than 1/4 to 1/2 an ounce over.
__________________
Rigid Rotor Brewing
Twitter: @RigidRotor
Kegged: White House Honey Porter, Barrel-aged English Barley Wine, India Red Ale, Habanero Pale Ale, Pumpkin Ale
Primary: Imperial IPA, American Brown, Amber, Old Ale, American Stout
chemicalcraig is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #34
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rathdrum, Idaho
Posts: 865
Liked 114 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman
Btw when buying whole hops do they usually add a good amount more like they do with the pellets?
I just portioned a "pound" of cascade leaf that was 18.8 oz and a "pound" of belma that was 18.4 oz. I would say its well over a lb when you consider what 2 oz of leaf hops looks like. When I got done with the belma my hands smelled like I had been juicing oranges. I will brew up a beer with it on Saturday.
__________________
kaconga is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #35
chemicalcraig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 75
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaconga View Post
I just portioned a "pound" of cascade leaf that was 18.8 oz and a "pound" of belma that was 18.4 oz. I would say its well over a lb when you consider what 2 oz of leaf hops looks like. When I got done with the belma my hands smelled like I had been juicing oranges. I will brew up a beer with it on Saturday.
That's interesting and great news, though contrary to my experiences with them. How accurate is your scale and what portions did you measure?
__________________
Rigid Rotor Brewing
Twitter: @RigidRotor
Kegged: White House Honey Porter, Barrel-aged English Barley Wine, India Red Ale, Habanero Pale Ale, Pumpkin Ale
Primary: Imperial IPA, American Brown, Amber, Old Ale, American Stout
chemicalcraig is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #36
bellmtbbq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pennington, NJ
Posts: 564
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

The reviews sound promising! Might be the new Citra.

Anyone here who doesn't finish their pound or doesn't like it that much, I'm totally willing (and would appreciate) to pay for an ounce or two + the shipping. Stoked to try this variety

__________________
bellmtbbq is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #37
snaps10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 739
Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq
The reviews sound promising! Might be the new Citra.

Anyone here who doesn't finish their pound or doesn't like it that much, I'm totally willing (and would appreciate) to pay for an ounce or two + the shipping. Stoked to try this variety
I'll send you a few oz. Where are you from? Maybe you could send me a bottle of a good local brew?
__________________
snaps10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #38
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rathdrum, Idaho
Posts: 865
Liked 114 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalcraig

That's interesting and great news, though contrary to my experiences with them. How accurate is your scale and what portions did you measure?
1 oz portions and my scale seems fairly spot on. It measures in .05 increments. I will pick up a liter of water and see if its accurate with that.
__________________
kaconga is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #39
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 3,535
Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Going to make a dry IIPA with Belma & Citra as late additions and in the dryhop... Apollo for bittering and as a middle charge. I need another late hop to round things out. Any suggestions? I want to combat some of that dominant tropicalness. Centennial, Southern Cross, Nugget?? Something else?

__________________
bobbrews is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #40
bellmtbbq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pennington, NJ
Posts: 564
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews
Going to make a dry IIPA with Belma & Citra as late additions and in the dryhop... Apollo for bittering and as a middle charge. I need another late hop to round things out. Any suggestions? I want to combat some of that dominant tropicalness. Centennial, Southern Cross, Nugget?? Something else?
Southern Cross is amazing
__________________

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

bellmtbbq is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rogue Farms Hops Agent Brew Recipes/Ingredients 1 04-14-2010 07:25 PM
Sun hop variety? DarthHumulus Recipes/Ingredients 3 03-20-2010 10:55 PM
In Praise of Puterbaugh Farms/Hops Direct permo Recipes/Ingredients 61 03-19-2010 04:12 AM
Damn, Puterbaugh needs a new scale... Evan! Recipes/Ingredients 9 09-25-2007 03:58 PM
FYI: Puterbaugh Farms Evan! Recipes/Ingredients 2 04-11-2007 06:13 PM