Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Holland Dragon's Milk Clone Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
mcleanmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default New Holland Dragon's Milk Clone Recipe

Hi all. After introducing New Holland Dragon's Milk to my dad it became his favorite beer. Thus he asked me to brew a clone of it, and teach him how to brew that clone.

So, I searched around for clone recipes and found this http://www.byo.com/english-scottish-...99s-milk-clone

However, that recipe did not really satisfy me because the ABV of Dragon's Milk is 10%, requiring a higher OG than listed in that clone recipe. Also a review of this http://newhollandbrew.com/beer/files...sMilk-Spec.pdf reveals an IBU of 31, a list of the malts, hops, and yeast used by New Holland.

So, I came up with this compromise:

11.5 lbs 2-row (63%)
2 lbs munich (11%)
1.5 lbs flaked barley (8%)
1 lb cane sugar (5%)
14 oz C-80 (5%)
10 oz C-120 (3%)
10 oz Chocolate (3%)
4 oz black patent (1%)

3/4 oz nugget @ 60 min
1 oz glacier @ 10 min

WL American Ale Blend

30.2 IBU
23 SRM
1.091 OG for 5.5 gal @ 78% efficiency (what I actually got)
1.097 OG estimated for 5 gal @ 75% efficiency

1.02 FG ~ 9.7% abv

I did a single infusion mash @ 158

I kept in primary for 20 days and tonight I racked it onto 2 oz of oak chips soaked in 4 oz of Jim Beam, which I had soaking for maybe 10 days (would have gone longer but slipped my mind).

Tasted it and I think it has excellent potential. It has a complex flavor which is rich in chocolate and has a pleasant after taste, seems well balanced and not warm of alcohol at all. I think the smell and taste are pretty similar to what Dragon's Milk must be like before the bourbon aging. If anything, I would have added a bit of dextrine for an increased body, but I won't really know until it's carbed. Only other desire is a little bit darker of a color, although my dad says he is happy with that.

I plan to taste it every two weeks until I reach the oak/bourbon character I want at which time I will bottle and report results after I drink the first.

Next:American Amber, Russian Imperial Stout, Abbey Dubbel, Saison
khsater Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
GhengisT
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

I used the extract recipe in BYO for my 2nd attempt at brewing. Soaked the oak chips in Crown Royal overnight. It came out great. I did triple up a 1000ml yeast starter for safe measures.

One of my favorite beers. I've moved into AG brewing & your recipe is looking good. I might just give it a try & let you know how it turns out.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
mcleanmj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just tasted the Dragon's Milk Clone after just shy of 2 weeks conditioning with the oak/bourbon. It tastes fantastic, I would like to go downstairs and drink the rest of it. Very smooth, complex, and chocolatey. Great balance of sweet and bitter flavors. I can pick up on the whiskey but it is subtle. I was hoping for more oak/vanilla tones, so I will see if another 3-4 weeks (if I can handle the wait) will bring out some more of the oak character. I am really exited about this beer, I think it will be my best to date.

Cheers

Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
pulseyou
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

when do you add the cane sugar? and how long did you age on oak chips?

Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
thatshowyougetants
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Do you not need to add vanilla to this? Where does the vanilla flavor come from?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
mcleanmj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry my reply took so long, have not been on here in a while.

I believe I added the sugar with 10 min left in the boil (15 is a possibility)

I still have it aging on the oak chips, so far 3 and a half weeks. My plan was 4-6 weeks. I will taste it in a few more days and decide if it is ready for bottling.

I did not add vanilla, the idea is that the vanilla notes will come from the oak chips...however, I will revisit the recipe after bottling and initial tasting and if I believe it needs vanilla, I will add it to v.2

Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
mcleanmj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bottled the beer on the 19th which comes out to just shy of 6 weeks. It tastes excellent, really happy with it at this point and I will try one as soon as it is carbonated to get a better idea...tasting very much like the real thing, maybe a little more oak or vanilla, but won't know for sure until its carbed.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
formula2fast
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Dragons Milk is one of my favs. Can't wait to hear your final results so I can brew this up!

TieBEERio Brewing Co. - We litrally have armadillos in our trousers.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
mcleanmj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well,

Reporting some bad news...after 4.5 weeks in bottle I have drank two and both have been flat...I don't know what has caused it, I carbonated it the same as every batch I have made. Also seems to have lost some of the flavors that it had when I tasted it prior to bottling...really bummed out, maybe some of the bottles will be alright, but at this point it doesn't look good.

I was hoping to get a good idea of any changes I might need, but its kind of difficult at this point. I would say tho, a vanilla bean would be a good idea, and maybe even a little more oak, but otherwise I think the recipe itself is pretty good.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
mcleanmj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Alas! I had a 3rd one of these and it was fully carbed! I conclude that I did not give the priming sugar enough time to fully diffuse...hopefully more are carbed than not carbed...but I am going to have to have 2 more to get a better idea I will give another update when I compare it directly to the real thing

Quick Reply