Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Glarus Moon Man Clone Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #41
urbanmyth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

http://hopville.com/recipe/1522536/a...-07-11-version

This is the recipe I have come up with so far. I am using half and half Munich and MO because those are the base malts I have at the moment. I opted for no 60 min hop addition to cut down on bittering and focus more on the hop flavors and aromas. Let me know what you fine folks think. I am telling you, Moteuka is the game changer in this one. The raw hops smell EXACTLY like a fresh bottle of Moon Man.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #42
urbanmyth
Recipes 

http://hopville.com/recipe/1522536/a...-07-11-version

This is the recipe I have come up with so far. I am using half and half Munich and MO because those are the base malts I have at the moment. I opted for no 60 min hop addition to cut down on bittering and focus more on the hop flavors and aromas. Let me know what you fine folks think. I am telling you, Moteuka is the game changer in this one. The raw hops smell EXACTLY like a fresh bottle of Moon Man.

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #43
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Brewing on Monday. Pictures to follow, if my camera is cooperating.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #44
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Brewing on Monday. Pictures to follow, if my camera is cooperating.
any update to this? I recently had my first (and second, third, etc.) bottle of Moon Man PA on vacation in Wisconsin/Up North. Gotta say I immediately felt like it was one of the best PA's I've had. I think the intense dry-hopping and dry, sessionable finish were the key points. Of course I thought there was great hop flavor as well, similar to my Nugget IIPA.

I considered making my Nugget Empire as a PA and seeing how I liked that. Is the general rule in scaling an IPA to a PA just dropping the IBU's, or do most guys also drop the flavor/aroma/dry-hop additions some as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #45
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been messing with my own Moon Man inspired APA. In 5 gallons, I have been first wort hopping/boiling with equal 5 gram quantity of Amarillo, Citra, Pacific Gem, and Summit. (Rager IBU around 35) Then 10 days dry hop with 14 grams each of same hops. I had planed on using Nelson Sauvin as a 5th hop, but wasn't availabe at the time I did my last order.

As is, this comes very close, actually brewing again this evening. 15 days till the fair, wanted to bring this one, but we drank the last batch up before I could pull a couple bottles off. Going to try and push it by pitching on to a slurry, dry-hopping after 3 days, dry hop for 8 days, hit it with some super-kleer, chill and force carb. Session APA are great young anyhow!

Old 08-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #46
kenlenard
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The NG website does say that they use 4 Pacific NW hops and 1 NZ hop... I believe. I'm looking for some information because I do like this beer and live in IL so I cannot get it without a GOOD drive. Cheers Beerheads.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #47
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
any update to this? I recently had my first (and second, third, etc.) bottle of Moon Man PA on vacation in Wisconsin/Up North. Gotta say I immediately felt like it was one of the best PA's I've had. I think the intense dry-hopping and dry, sessionable finish were the key points. Of course I thought there was great hop flavor as well, similar to my Nugget IIPA.

I considered making my Nugget Empire as a PA and seeing how I liked that. Is the general rule in scaling an IPA to a PA just dropping the IBU's, or do most guys also drop the flavor/aroma/dry-hop additions some as well?
I dry hopped the brew last night. I used an ounce of Muteuka and Pacific Gem, half an ounce of Amarillo and Cascade and a forth ounce of Willamette. The mixture smelled great in the cup before I added them, and slightly of Moon Man. It kind of morphed into a showcase of New Zealand hops instead of a Moon Man clone, but I do believe in my heart of hearts that Mutueka is the variety that makes Moon Man unique. My camera was not cooperating on brew day, but I shall post tasting notes in about three weeks after bottle conditioning has finished.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #48
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
I dry hopped the brew last night. I used an ounce of Muteuka and Pacific Gem, half an ounce of Amarillo and Cascade and a forth ounce of Willamette. The mixture smelled great in the cup before I added them, and slightly of Moon Man. It kind of morphed into a showcase of New Zealand hops instead of a Moon Man clone, but I do believe in my heart of hearts that Mutueka is the variety that makes Moon Man unique. My camera was not cooperating on brew day, but I shall post tasting notes in about three weeks after bottle conditioning has finished.
Well I've purchased 3oz each of Motueka and Pac Gem. My neighbor and fellow (long-time) brewer said he'd bet Amarillo is in there due to the citrus notes. Good call on that. He said he doesn't use Cascade with other hops very often, though.

My plan is to use the NZ hops along with something citrusy, maybe Amarillo or Cascade, for flavor/aroma...and bitter with something high-alpha that I like, probably Nugget. I plan on doing just a 30 minute boil.

My grain should be here this week, so I'll brew it this weekend likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #49
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sub'd. I love this stuff, good hop flavor with a clean finish.

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Old 08-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #50
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Well I've purchased 3oz each of Motueka and Pac Gem. My neighbor and fellow (long-time) brewer said he'd bet Amarillo is in there due to the citrus notes. Good call on that. He said he doesn't use Cascade with other hops very often, though.

My plan is to use the NZ hops along with something citrusy, maybe Amarillo or Cascade, for flavor/aroma...and bitter with something high-alpha that I like, probably Nugget. I plan on doing just a 30 minute boil.

My grain should be here this week, so I'll brew it this weekend likely.
Which grain bill are you using?

Quick Reply