New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Glarus Moon Man Clone Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #31
billysparrows
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewerb,

I'm in. I'm going to begin the hop search now. I currently just do 3 gal biab batches do to a temporary living arrangement, but it can obviously be scaled. I'll post what I am thinking of trying and welcome any constructive advice. I may need a day or two to get things together bc I'm working nights right now, but I have 12 (rapidly dwindling) MM's in my fridge now to help motivate me. Where are you with your clone attempt?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #32
billysparrows
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, target IBU's?

No Amarillo out there....may sub centennial

Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #33
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I finally picked up some Moon Man yesterday and did a comparison with my pale ale, which was based on my memories of Moon Man.

Results? It's really not too far off! The colors are almost identical, so that's pretty neat. My pale's use of Columbus and Cascade means it's definitely more citrusy than Moon Man, but I think the bitterness isn't too far off -- in the neighborhood of 30 IBUs for my 1.040 OG.

It's not Moon Man, but I'm really pleased with the similarities. Definitely similar beers.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #34
brewerb
Recipes 

billysparrows,

I have been drinking my first attempt for a few weeks. It is really good,& it seems close, but I'm not sure if it is a clone. I do not live close to Wi to get MM, but My cousin is bringing some over on Saturday. I will share results after we compare. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I think it was about 40 IBU. I think I dry hopped with Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, Chinook & Rakau (NZ) bc I remember a hint of passionfruit & peach behind a grapefruit backbone. I used MO & Golden Promise (bc I ran out of MO). If it is close, I will post the full recipe.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #35
billysparrows
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice, I'm looking forward to the results. I've done a few beers in that same vein that were pretty close, but def not clones. I do have an actual clone attempt with pacific gem, citra, cascade, centennial, and Amarillo that I just bottled. I will post when I crack one.

It would be nice to get a credible source naming their hops, but oh we'll I guess we keep working. In three attempts at similar beers, I have enjoyed one as much as moon man, and two were good, but not as good as MM.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #36
JRdaSconnie
Recipes 

FYI, I just sent a message to New Glarus on their general comment form looking for some GUIDANCE (not a recipe) on a beer in the style of their Thumbprint Olde English Porter (sour porter). I got a lengthy response that "while open discussion is a great thing" they refuse to share any shred of info on their beers. So, keep working your recipes because we won't squeeze any info out of them!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #37
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yeah, I know people that have dealt with the Carey's on a professional/business basis and weren't impressed with their demeaner/friendliness. They make some pretty good beers, but their unwillingness to help out amateurs like us is discouraging. Oh well, we have Spotted Cow cloned; it's only a matter of time for the rest.

2014 Gallons Brewed: 19
Gallons Brewed '11-'13: 250

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pvtschultzs-ebiab-build-finally-298407/

Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #38
DrinkNoH2O
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Visiting Indiana and a friend handed me a MM tonight - amazing beer. I definitely detect cascade and chinook. Would love to brew this one. Pretty much an american bitter, lower OG than pale ale, american hops (mostly), and clean ale yeast. Not a ton of body, it has a dry finish.

Looking forward to cloning something like this. Much better than a similar beer Stone brewed (San Diego session or something like that).

Old 07-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #39
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I picked up a pound of New Zealand Motueka last night for the hell of it, and found that this hop has almost the exact nose of Moon Man. I think this may be the missing lynchpin we have been looking for. I am working with what I think will be a tasty session pale ale malt bill and a mix of Motueka, Pacific Gem, Pacific Jade and Green Bullet. Hopping it to about 35 IBUs with the Green Bullet and then hop bursting with the others. At the very least, I expect to have a tasty house pale ale to keep in rotation.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #40
DrinkNoH2O
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds great, keep us posted

Quick Reply