Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Glarus Moon Man Clone Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #21
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

There are Chinook in the Moon man, you can smell them as soon as you pour the beer.

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew
Brokencrj Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #22
Tundrabrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I absolutely love this beer and want to brew something similar or a clone so I am happy with this thread. I did find an article on New Glarus' website that says two key things we should look at for this recipie.

1. He spent over 6 months painstakingly perfecting the hop blend alone. Finally utilizing 5 varieties of hops, of which three are not commonly used in American style ales.

2. Moon Man" is dry hopped 2 and a 1/2 times as much as is commonly practiced in dry hopped beer (2.25 pounds per barrel).

We should be able to agree that traditional American Ale hops contain a higher alpha acid. In reading the discription I thought they would just start with an IPA recipie replace the high acid in bittering with a noble hop and call it good(also pair down the grain bill lower OG). However, as a barrel is 31 gal would mean they are using 1.16 oz/gal, we would need to dryhop with 5.8 oz of hops for a 5 gal batch. That is alot of hops!
I originally assumed that they are using an american style hop to dry hop with, but with the amount involed I would propose they are mixing it with a less traditional lower acid hop maybe 25%:75%. It is a profoundly aromatic brew but not as aromatic as I would assume if 6 ounces of a 13% hop were used per 5 galons for dryhoping.

As the original posters friends gave him the list of these hops, they seem to match up with the article a bit. I would postulate that the Riwaka are used for bittering, and for the bulk of the dryhoping as well. Amarillo for flavoring, and two of the remaining for the last minute. They could also be using three hops for dry hopping, with that kind of amount it would not be suprising.

I plan on brewing a partial mash verison of this. Hopefully I can get a recipie together and get it ordered soon.

Any other thoughts on this? Anyone think I am totally off base here?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #23
Tundrabrewing
Recipes 

Also Brewmasters Warehouse has all the hops in stock right now!

Old 12-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #24
billysparrows
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any luck on this? MM is a great beer.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Nope. Havent tried it. Ive been itching to go take a hard hat tour but it hasnt happened yet. I do have a friend of a friend that works there, and been bugging him to find out the real blend, but I havent bothered him lately. Need to do that again =D

Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #26
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Very interesting. Wish we new for sure what the other hops were. If I hadnt of just made an IBA this past weekend with the hops and grains I ordered from Steelers77, I would think about trying this. Need to work on bugging my buddy and see if he can come up with more to go with citra/riwaka.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #27
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I concur about the citra on the nose.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #28
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Keeping this thread alive - has anyone successfully harvested New Glarus yeast?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #29
brewerb
Recipes 

Can anyone else in this thread commit to trying to brew a version they think is MM. I am commited and I will post what I do after some more research on the hops. Right now it looks like Riwaka, Amarillo, Chinook, Citra and I detect some cascade. What a great beer, I think a session dry hopped ale with some of these hops would be a great start.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #30
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sadly, I haven't had Moon Man in quite some time, but next time I cross the border I'm stocking up. In fact, I'm tempted to head to Hudson this Sunday for just this reason.

Anyway, I brewed a session pale ale (4%, 31 IBUs) that isn't supposed to be a clone of Moon Man by any means, but was inspired by my recollections of it (but with easier to access hops). Absolutely delicious after just 5 days in the bottle. Recipe is here. Whenever I do pick up some Moon Man I will compare, as there might be educational value in terms of grain bill, mash temp, etc.

Quick Reply