Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Glarus Moon Man Clone Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #101
Madscientist737
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Anyone have any recent luck on recipes? I'd like to try to make this, but not sure where to start.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #102
RutherfordBrave
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm on my second batch of this, bottling this weekend. First batch was nothing short of amazing, and arguably better than the Moon Man I've had the last couple of times passing through WI. Aroma hops are fantastic immediately after bottle conditioning, and change noticeably over the first few weeks. Pretty sure this is what I've experienced with bottles of Moon Man as well, which is why it's right on the label that it's best fresh. So to me, because I don't live in WI anymore, homebrew is the best of all worlds.

Forgive the atypical batch size -- I do stovetop no sparge BIAB in 2g batches, which are fantastically easy and clean.

Grain bill:
4lb 2-row
2.6oz Crystal 60
Mash at 154

Aiming for ~25IBU with hop additions:
Nelson Sauvin (11.8%) 0.21oz
Citra (14.5%) 0.16oz
Amarillo (9.2%) 0.25oz
Motukea (7.2%) 0.32oz
Simcoe (13%) 0.18oz
(mix all of this as a hop blend, then split in 5 parts for each addition)

FWH, 10, 5, 2, FO

Ferment with an entire smack pack of Safale US-05, because yeast.

Dry hop ~5d with 0.5 oz of the hop blend as above.

I'm still dialing things in with my setup -- I overshot my OG on my first batch, but missed my target volume, and on the latest I hit my volume but undershot my target OG. Will probably bump up the 2-row by 10% and double crush next time. Regardless, this is one fantastically flavorful beer with very subtle and smooth bittering, which takes a back seat to the aroma hops until the beer ages for a bit. It's so good that you probably won't get to that point, though

Old 04-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #103
kenlenard
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Earlier in this thread I mentioned an attempt and my five hops are the same as RutherfordBrave's (above). I mentioned that I may have bittered the beer too much with 7.2 AAU of equal amounts of the 5 hops used as a FWH. A local homebrewer went on the NG tour and was told that MM uses 4 Pacific NW hops and 1 NZ hop... which makes my hops inaccurate but still close. Coincidentally, I happened to be making a Columbus (a hop I have largely ignored in my 15 years of brewing) and Cascade pale ale. The aroma of these two hops was VERY similar to that of Moon Man. In fact, I would not be the least bit surprised if the 4 Pacific NW hops were Columbus, Cascade, Amarillo and Citra. Riwaka could be the NZ hop, not sure. I plan to try this again as I have all 4 of those hops (and also Motueka) and I still have some commercial Moon Man that I bootlegged over the border. These Columbus hops have a very unique aroma and it reminded me very much of Moon Man. My 2¢.

Visit my homebrewing site. Information on kegging, all-grain, lagering, water characteristics, new brewers, recipes and more at Mayfair Court Brewhouse

Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #104
RutherfordBrave
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I bring Moon Man back to Maryland, I notice a big difference in flavor if I save it for more than a couple weeks. Refrigeration would probably help keep the profile going longer, but for now any extra beer is stored next to my brewing equipment. Regardless of comparing it to Moon Man or not, this is in the territory and definitely a great brew.

Be sure to report back if you change up the hops. I'm about to do another batch of something, so maybe I'll try your new combination. Would you do the mix the same as before, or would you change things up from FWH to the other additions?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #105
kenlenard
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutherfordBrave View Post
When I bring Moon Man back to Maryland, I notice a big difference in flavor if I save it for more than a couple weeks. Refrigeration would probably help keep the profile going longer, but for now any extra beer is stored next to my brewing equipment. Regardless of comparing it to Moon Man or not, this is in the territory and definitely a great brew.

Be sure to report back if you change up the hops. I'm about to do another batch of something, so maybe I'll try your new combination. Would you do the mix the same as before, or would you change things up from FWH to the other additions?
I think I would try to make each hop addition a blend of all 5 hops and make it so that each of the hops was equal (by weight) or possibly equal by AAU. I was very careful to make the additions equal by AAU last time so I might use more Motueka (lower AA%) and less Simcoe and Citra (higher AA%). But if I tried to make this beer again, I might not make the first addition until 30 minutes into a 60 minute boil because the commercial version is so smooth. There is really NO bitterness in the commercial version, all flavor and aroma. That said, it may not be necessary to divide the hops out by AA% rating but just by weight. So .2 ounces of each hop (for 1 full ounce) at 30, then again at 20, then again at 10, 5, etc. until you reach the target IBU which I think is 35 for Moon Man. If the IBUS were too high, adjust and maybe start at 20 minutes and then 15, 10, 5, etc. I thought about that the first around but my only strategy there was using a FWH to 'soften' the bitterness. I agree with you about just getting into the ballpark. We're never going to make an exact copy so the key is making something very much in the spirit of the original & something that makes you happy and you can call your own. That's the goal on any beer I try to copy. I have a copy of Two Women as well (another nice NG beer) and it's very close. Cheers.

Visit my homebrewing site. Information on kegging, all-grain, lagering, water characteristics, new brewers, recipes and more at Mayfair Court Brewhouse

Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #106
fireslayer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One of my most favorite beers. Might have to try this recipe.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #107
RutherfordBrave
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I balanced by AA% in the above blend. Reducing the target IBU may also reduce the perceived bitterness, as I didn't get anything but flavor and aroma during the first few weeks. Now that the flavor has faded I can taste some bittering, but it's still smooth and not unpleasant - just not as super flavorful like it once was. I don't recall MM having any more flavor than I got from this recipe, so I think this is a pretty good target if it's balancing aroma/bittering. My wife liked it, and she hates beer!

Old 04-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #108
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlenard View Post
In fact, I would not be the least bit surprised if the 4 Pacific NW hops were Columbus, Cascade, Amarillo and Citra. Riwaka could be the NZ hop, not sure.
I would say Willamette, not Columbus. I don't get any CTZ character from Moon Man. That said, I do not possess the greatest palate.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #109
dlittle58
Recipes 

I finally got around to brewing and bottling this recipe. Had the first bottle two weeks ago. I followed Lalnx's recipe but instead of Crystal 40 I went with Crystal 20.

Hops:
Summit
Citra
Amarillo
Pacific Gem
Motueka

4g boiled at 20/15/5, dry hopped for 7 days with the same blend but 8g of each

Few notes I had:
Color is still a shade darker than MM
Smell is fantastic but slightly more citrusy
Flavor is smooth but a little sweeter and more citrusy

A great beer but wasn't MM exactly. Overall it was more candy citrusy (if that makes any sense). Good luck!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #110
dlittle58
Recipes 

Oh and my IBUs were slightly higher also. I think 40ish

Quick Reply