Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Glarus Golden Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well to continue my "research" of this beer. I called my dad up today and had him drive up to New Glarus and buy me 12 bottles of their Golden Ale along with a few Abt's, Dancing man, Enigma, and Moon Man. He's retired, he doesn't have anything else to do right? I'm afraid the 18 beers he just bought for me are going to be over $100 but it's all in the name of science! Unfortunately I won't see any of these beers til Christmas when they make the trip out here.

Right now my "funky" fermenter is tied up with a Berliner-weisse but in two weeks it will be emptied and ready for this one. Once I get a recipe together I'll post it to see what people think and go from there. I'm sure it will take a few tries. This would be a good brew for "Can you Brew It"

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

bmason1623 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waunabeer View Post
now I have to go on their tour and try the golden ale.
Give the Hard Hat Tour a go. It's next on MY list.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 10-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #13
beerfold
Recipes 

I’ll definitely be following this thread. I’m interested to see what you come up with and how it turns out. I have an idea of how I would go about this clone, and I may give it a go when my next funky fermenter gets freed up. I think one cool aspect of home brewing this beer will be the opportunity to taste it at its various stages. I’ve had this beer several times. The first time it seemed like the floral character of the goldings was more pronounced, while the most recent bottle I drank had a stronger brett character with the goldings still there but in the background. It would be nice to have a bottle where the brett character and hop character are in perfect balance.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #14
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Anybody play around with this recipe clone? I still have two bottles of this beer and am waiting to drink them until I can harvest the yeast and have starting point for a recipe. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Home Brew Talk

Old 02-09-2011, 03:48 AM   #15
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

NG does bottle condition, but they also flash pasteurize all their beers, so it can't be guaranteed what you're getting from the bottle is what they fermented with.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 01-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #16
ArrowheadAles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not to bring up an old thread but I just opened a bottle of this tonight. It seems to have lost a lot of it's head retention and the aroma isn't as pleasant as I thought it'd be but the flavors are still delicious. Gotta love that Brett funk!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #17
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I actually still have about 10 of these left from over 2 years ago. I also just stuck one in the fridge last week, guess I'll crack it open this weekend and see if my findings compare to yours Arrowhead. I recall opening one last year and I thought it kind of gone downhill. The thing about brett is that is goes up and down with age. If you don't like it one year, try it the next it could be a lot better, the year after that it may suck again.

I did however find that the Enigma's get much better with a few years on them. I have one left from what I think was the 2006 brew. I opened one last year in the winter of 2011 and it was fantastic. I bought 16 of the 2012 version and have opened two so far. They were great but I am pretty sure with atleast a year of aging they will be much much better. I'll let you know how this Golden Ale has held up.

Edit: Just cracked it open. The brett funk aroma is still there. Head retention is low but the bottle also gushed a bit upon opening. I think this is aging pretty well. Still has some nice "orange" citrus notes to it and the brett has obviously worked its magic quite well on this beer. There is a slight medicinal taste to it though. I'm sure it's phenols from the belgian yeast, or the brett. But they are quite plasticy/bandaid like.

P.S. as always, NG did not even reply to my email. They are definitely not homebrewer friendly like other breweries. I also, never did get around to attempting a clone of this either. One of these days...maybe.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Quick Reply