Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Dry Wheat Yeast - WB-06 vs Munich Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default New Dry Wheat Yeast - WB-06 vs Munich Wheat

Safale WB-06 vs Danstar Munich Wheat... what say ye?

Well these have been out for a bit now and I thought I'd ask those that have used them what results they've achieved with them. Of particular interest to me is how either of these performed against existing liquid yeast in producing "German" character in wheat/weizen bier?

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 02:28 AM   #2
big supper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think that this has been discussed b4.

I have tried the Munich yeast. Definately not what you look for in a weizen yeast. Still made a good beer, just not what was expected.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I tried the WB-06. It's sort of fine, but it's boring as hell and contributes very little flavor. I didn't think it was much different from US-05. Liquid yeast would certainly kick its ass.

I'm sure there's a more informative thread about this already out there - maybe try a search to see if you can find it. Let us know what you go with.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=57420

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=67804

The 2nd one is the link I was trying to find - it's FSR402's side-by-side of both of the strains in question.

End result: Danstar is passable but not a Hefe at all, just a clean wheat. The Fermentis... "This yeast sucks. Does not produce anything that I would want to do again. No heffe characteristics and what it does produce is not all that good." followed by a few weeks later, "Well my wife floated the keg with the Danstar in 3 weeks. I'm still working on the Fermentis. I even added 2oz of Blueberry extract to see if it would make it any better. It helped but not a lot."

He even rebrewed with the Danstar again, for a friend.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
redneckbeagle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't tried the Danstar, but just split a 10 gallon batch, 1 with WB-06 and 1 with Wyeast 3068. I thought I would do a test and save a few bucks, but never again!!!

Hands down the 3068 was by far superior over the WB-06!!!!!

Cheers,

redneckbeagle

Old 08-20-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Thanks all for the replies. When I did a search I found the top post Chriso posted, but not the bottom, which is really detailed.

It'd be interesting to know that since the clove and banana esters don't develop at normal ferm temps if they might come through at higher temps...

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Quick Reply