Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Never tried brewing a fruit beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
honkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Never tried brewing a fruit beer

I have made up my mind that I want to brew a fruit beer when I get home. After doing some more reading, I think I am close to making up my mind. I want a lot of fruit flavor and I am not sure I have ever had a beer like what I am imaginig. Here is what I am thinking though... Fruit will be bought fresh, washed, pit the peaches, frozen and added to a secondary for 2 weeks. Most likely I will use a 6 gallon better bottle because of the large amount of fruit.

9 lbs 2-Row
.5 lbs Crystal 20
.5 lbs Carapils
(.5 lbs acid malt?)
Perle hops at 60 minutes to 5 IBUs
Wyeast 1010
7 Lbs of peaches
4 lbs of raspberries

OG-1.050
Mash at 152

I am still not completely sold on the fruit, but I know that I want a lot of fruit flavor and for the fruit to be dominate. I also have considered using blueberries instead of peaches or cherries. Any suggestions? A friend mentioned citric acid, but I have no experience with it. What do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If I recall correctly, you need a TON of blueberries to get anything dominant from them since they don't come through very well, but I could be wrong about that.

That looks like a pretty nice amount of fruit to me. I would include the acidulated malt if it were me doing it, as I like to put a little of it into my fruit recipes since I like the mild sourness it puts in. I never used peaches, though, so it might not be necessary or advisable with them. I just don't know.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 07-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

you might want to look into sour mashing. the controlled souring of the wort can compliment the tartness of the peaches. just a thought. I've read a few different places that citric acid is really one dimensional in regards to flavor.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1104

I third getting some sourness in there. I like to make fruit beers, but I use a wheat base for it. I just find for me the wheat beer is a great compliment for fruits. I use a very clean yeast when making them also. Your plan for the fruit is spot on. I don't believe peaches have enough pectin to mess with your beer, but I could be wrong. I never worry about that anyway

Quick Reply