Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Nelson Sauvin IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #21
JesperX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 34 Posts

Honestly if the dude had to make a call to see which crystal malts he had and had the hops sitting at room temp, I would try to find ingredients elsewhere. I know that's not helpful if you don't have much around but it sounds like you're not getting anything close to fresh.

At worst, if you had to order online you could buy in larger amounts and probably save in the long run.

Edit: Bah, old thread for the lose.

Primary: American Brown Ale
Kegged: American Pale Ale V2

On Deck: American Pale Ale V3
Brown Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #22
loetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperX View Post
Honestly if the dude had to make a call to see which crystal malts he had and had the hops sitting at room temp, I would try to find ingredients elsewhere. I know that's not helpful if you don't have much around but it sounds like you're not getting anything close to fresh.

At worst, if you had to order online you could buy in larger amounts and probably save in the long run.

Edit: Bah, old thread for the lose.
Well, it's old but not irrelevant.

The last time I didn't have the option to order online since I didn't have time to wait around for things to be shipped. I don't have a fermentation chamber, so I rely on my apartment keeping an ambient temperature of 18C. If I'd waited much longer, I would have missed my window.

I'm about to buy some malts for my next batch and I will not be going back to him. I'll just have to pay for shipping.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by loetz View Post
I went with:

Pils - 11.11 pounds
CaraHell - 1.6 pounds
CaraBelge - 1.6 pounds
Oats - 1.6 pounds

.5oz Nelson Sauvin 60 min.
.7oz Nelson Sauvin 20 min.
.7oz Nelson Sauvin 10 min.
.7oz Nelson Sauvin 5 min.

It was OK. I should have bumped up the late hop additions. It would have had more of the fruity flavor.
if you re-brew this i would cut down on the crystal malts. you're slightly over 20%, which is the max you want in most brews. since you want to be featuring the hops here, i would have cut them down to 10% and used more base malt. also, 10% oats is a little on the high side. i would have aimed for 5% max.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Quick Reply