Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need Vienna Lager input.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #11
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
I'm planning on doing a vienna lager soon and stumbled across this thread. Bobby, did you brew this one? If so, how did it turn out? Anything you'd do differently?

Thanks,
Chad
The sample I had was really good. That was about 2 weeks ago while it was still not carbed/cleared...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Hmm, let me go take a pull off the keg...

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 PM   #13
AdIn

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bobby, I wonder how's the clarity of your Viena turned out, although it could be too early to tell. I remember I brewed Viena lager with 100% grain bill of Viena malt. I had pretty good efficiency but beer took forever to condition and clalarify. In the end it was grate, but 4-5 month to that point.
Interestingly I just went through George Fix book on Octoberfest style of beer. It was written in 1991 and at that time he said that quality of viena and munich malt is very bad compare to regular pilsner malt. Bad in terms of malt protein and SNR. Unfortunately he did not give any numbers, but I wonder if we have same situation till this day and that's why my beer was so cloudy and took forever to condition. Instead he advices to use mostly pilsner malt (like 8lbs for 5g batch) and add small amounts of light/dark and crystal (120L) malt (in the range of 6-7 oz of each) to get to 8-12 SRM. I guess that at such a low percentile of cara-malts won't give any caramely flavors.
Any way, let us know how did it go.

Non-alcoholic beer is a first step to a rubber woman

Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 AM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

So I pulled a bit off the keg for the first time. It's been lagering in the keg since 11/25 and it's still a little hazy and tastes green. It's really hard to say if the recipe is sound or not at this point. I just put it on the gas so that my future tastings will be closer to the finished product so I'll keep you updated on it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-11-2007, 02:04 AM   #15
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
So I pulled a bit off the keg for the first time. It's been lagering in the keg since 11/25 and it's still a little hazy and tastes green. It's really hard to say if the recipe is sound or not at this point. I just put it on the gas so that my future tastings will be closer to the finished product so I'll keep you updated on it.
Thanks, Bobby. I'm eager to hear how it progresses. I've got my next couple of ales planned out then will venture into lagers with a vienna. I thought it would be perfect for December/January, and it would have been . . . last week. Today hit nearly 80º here and the temps will be in the mid-70s all week. Oy. So much for lagering in the garage. Luckily I have a spare fridge.

Take care,
Chad
www.chadwrites.com

Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 AM   #16
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdIn
I had pretty good efficiency but beer took forever to condition and clalarify. In the end it was grate, but 4-5 month to that point.
What was you mash shedule? This may have been the result of a missing protein rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jc
An all vienna mailt bill is WWAAYYY to much. You would be on your way to a bock with that thing.
That's whay I would do. 100% Vienna would be the way to go for my version of a vienna lager. There is enough diastatic power in vienna. And I don't think that it will be bock like as long as you make sure it attenuates fairly close to the limit of attenuation. I don't keep Vienna in stock, so for my version I'll probably go with 50% Pilsner and 50 % light munich.

Just my 2c

Old 12-11-2007, 03:10 AM   #17
AdIn

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
What was you mash shedule? This may have been the result of a missing protein rest.
I did protein rest @130F for 15 min, then decoction to 154. I just looked at my records, I had 11lb of Viena and 1lb caramunich.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:47 AM   #18
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdIn
I did protein rest @130F for 15 min, then decoction to 154. I just looked at my records, I had 11lb of Viena and 1lb caramunich.
That's odd. Did you check for conversion? w/o seeing some malt parameters I can only think of starch haze, but you must have been way off to keep a mash of Vienna from converting. Even the single decoction could not have done enough harm to the enzymes.

Here are some parameters from Durst's Vienna : http://www.durstmalz.com/viennamalt.html

In terms of protein and SNR, it's very similar to the Munich and the Pilsner they make. Weyermann Vienna malt is similar.

Kai

Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #19
AdIn

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
That's odd. Did you check for conversion? w/o seeing some malt parameters I can only think of starch haze, but you must have been way off to keep a mash of Vienna from converting. Even the single decoction could not have done enough harm to the enzymes.

Here are some parameters from Durst's Vienna : http://www.durstmalz.com/viennamalt.html

In terms of protein and SNR, it's very similar to the Munich and the Pilsner they make. Weyermann Vienna malt is similar.

Kai
I use Weyermann and it does list a bit higher then Durst's protein %: http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/malt/weyermann.php

Agree, it was strange. That's why Bobby's experience is of a great interest for me. But I think next time I brew Viena style - I'll try this approach to use mostly base malt and get needed color by using cara-malts. I wonder if anybody tried it?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Well, it's been lagering for 3 weeks. I keep topping up the gas to progressively carb it while I wait (which fortunately or not, it allows me to pull bubbly samples. It's clearing up nicely (probably brilliant in another 2 weeks) and the taste is great. The malt aroma is strong but pleasant. Vienna rules.

New Stuff?

Quick Reply