Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need a "Victory Baltic Thunder" clone recipe pls

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
GaryJohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Need a "Victory Baltic Thunder" clone recipe pls

Anyone got a recipe for this baltic porter? I absolutely love this beer and want to brew one up for wintertime. Extract/partial mash recipe is preferred, but I'll take anything! I can't find anything online.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
GaryJohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

nuthin'?

Last edited by GaryJohn; 06-29-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Normfromcheers
Recipes 

this should get you in the ballpark...

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

13.20 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.86 %
3.30 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 16.22 %
1.10 lb Caraamber (30.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1.10 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1.10 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
0.55 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
0.88 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.7 IBU
0.59 oz Tradition [6.00 %] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU

2 Pkgs German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) Yeast-Lager (or appropriate starter)

Yeast Substitute: WLP830 German Lager

Measured Original Gravity: 1.093 SG
SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 9.58 %

Mash w/ 6.36 gallons @ 152 degrees. Sparge with 3 gallons for 7 gallon boil. Boil 60-90 mins. Drink a 6 pack for ABV test.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

A few notes on Baltic Thunder (and its predicessor Perkunos Hammer):

The grist is welling up from the bottom of the mash tun. It's thick, it's cakey, it's got beans in it (over 100 lbs. of black-eyed peas; the Roman beans were crazy expensive, over a dollar a pound).

The aiming point for the Original Gravity of the wort was 20.5P, a big boy that should ferment out right around 8%, maybe a bit higher. Hopping is early additions of Tettnang and Hallertauer; as Ron says, they've got contracts that make it economically reasonable to use these deliciously aromatic hops for bittering hops.

It’s a Baltic porter with lots of Munich malt, chocolate and other specialty malts and, oh yes, some beans. Yes, beans. Not sure what the musical fruit adds (he claimed better mouthfeel).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
A few notes on Baltic Thunder (and its predicessor Perkunos Hammer):

The grist is welling up from the bottom of the mash tun. It's thick, it's cakey, it's got beans in it (over 100 lbs. of black-eyed peas; the Roman beans were crazy expensive, over a dollar a pound).

The aiming point for the Original Gravity of the wort was 20.5P, a big boy that should ferment out right around 8%, maybe a bit higher. Hopping is early additions of Tettnang and Hallertauer; as Ron says, they've got contracts that make it economically reasonable to use these deliciously aromatic hops for bittering hops.

It’s a Baltic porter with lots of Munich malt, chocolate and other specialty malts and, oh yes, some beans. Yes, beans. Not sure what the musical fruit adds (he claimed better mouthfeel).
Oldstock
Do you have a 5 or 10 gallon recipe that you can share for the Victory Baltic Porter? I am very intrigued with your post and would like to know more to be able to brew this beer in the next few months.
Thanks for any input, oh and what does "welling up from the bottom of the mash tun" mean?
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Oldstock
Do you have a 5 or 10 gallon recipe that you can share for the Victory Baltic Porter? I am very intrigued with your post and would like to know more to be able to brew this beer in the next few months.
Thanks for any input, oh and what does "welling up from the bottom of the mash tun" mean?
Cheers
Jay
Sadly that's all the info I could find, I think the person who wrote it was just trying to be poetic.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply