Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need an unfermentable way to add citrus to the keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Need an unfermentable way to add citrus to the keg

At last tasting my citrus kolsch was slightly lacking in the citrus department. It got 0.5oz of bitter orange peel, 0.5oz of sweet orange peel, zest of two lemons, and 0.5oz crushed coriander with 10 mins left in the boil, and I really thought that would be enough. I want to enter it in NHC as a fruit beer, and I may need to give it a little extra lemon or orange oomph in the keg. We'll see, as carbonating might bring out the citrus. It will get bottled of course, so I want this to be unfermentable. They don't seem to make orange or lemon extract for beer/wine but they do make both for baking. Another thought was grand marnier. Also, possibly "dry hopping" with zest.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Make sure whatever extract you use doesn't have oil in it. Many of the orange zest extracts are full of orange zest oil and that will mess with your head retention.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Duster72
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would recommend reading Mosher's Radical Brewing. He describes how to make a "potion" using vodka and then adding it at bottling - along with tons of other tips on fruit.

I zested several oranges, added some indian corriander, and then soaked it all in vodka for a couple weeks, then strained it and added some at bottling. It turned out really well.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

That sounds like it could be good. I'm not sure if it would be ready in time for me, especially since I like to add a little at a time, give it a day, then judge it.

I just kegged this beer and it is chilling and carbing. I have a feeling I'm going to taste the citrus much more once it is bubbly and the yeast has settled out. I'm just looking for a backup plan in case I don't.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

grand marnier has a very high sugar content. I added some to a Saison in the primary after it stopped at 1.08 and fermentation started again for a few days I added about 2 cups. Most liqueurs are made with a lot of sugar. I would do the soak in a neutral tasting alcohol or maybe some Smirnoff orange?

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 03-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Okay, it definitely needs something before it can compete at NHC in the fruit beers.

Pure Lemon Extract - SCE-012 - Country Kitchen SweetArt

Right now something like that is my best idea. Extract. Oils might mess with the foam stability but it really doesn't have that much to begin with.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
Okay, it definitely needs something before it can compete at NHC in the fruit beers.

Pure Lemon Extract - SCE-012 - Country Kitchen SweetArt

Right now something like that is my best idea. Extract. Oils might mess with the foam stability but it really doesn't have that much to begin with.
What about Absolut Citroen? That has a definite citrus taste. I've never done it, but it sounds good to me right now. Of course, I'm fairly hammered. When I'm sobered up, it might not sound so good.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
SueMac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you tried True Lemon products? Link: True Lemon®
They have lemon, lime and orange flavors and are available in many supermarkets.
Ingredients in the True Lime are: citric acid, lactose, lime juice, lime oil, maltodextrin and ascorbic acid. I added several packets to my Hard Limeade just before bottling and while carbonation did take a few weeks more, it did carbonate. If you're kegging it may not be an issue.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

I like it...I'll look for it. Where in the store do you usually find it? extracts, sweeteners?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #10
SueMac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In the stores that I go to (Shaw's or Stop & Shop), I believe they're with the sweeteners (artifical and regular sugars). Good luck! I hope it works out for you!

Quick Reply