New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need some help perfecting my clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
jcarson83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Default Need some help perfecting my clone

Its a Mirror Pond clone. heres the original post and recipe.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10355

Its drinking time and last night a did a taste test with the real MP and my clone side by side. The results, mines too bitter. Well I can fix that easily enough but the real problem is the real MP is a lot more complex in flavors. I'm not a noob at drinking beer but I am at trying to explain the flavors so bare with me. Its got several fruity flavors that I can't explain. At first I said they were malty but I don't think thats the case. I think they might be from the hops.

Is there a specific hop that might give these flavors more than another. I used all Cascades and over hopped because I didn't adjust for the fact that I used pellets instead of whole.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The cascades normally give me a nice grapefruit character if that's what you mean by fruity. You could try shifting some of your bittering dosage to your flavor/aroma dose.

If by fruity you mean more apple-y, then I'd say try a more estery yeast.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I would try a different yeast strain.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:07 AM   #4
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I find that Mirror pond has a complex-ish malty after-taste included with the hoppy-grapefruit-ish taste at the end...I'm going to add a bit of Victory Malt next time...

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Quick Reply