Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need some help identifying my recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
HandyBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Need some help identifying my recipe

So this might sound weird and newbish, but I want some help to classify this next brew.

If I had to take a guess, it would be a Scotch Ale but I want other's opinions to help me tell my testers (a.k.a. anyone that walks in my house) what style of beer it most resembles.

This is my recipe... (I always buy grain in full lbs, so I have some left over that I want to use)

6.5# - Pale Ale Malt 2-row
1# - Caramel Vienne 20L
1# - Caramel/Crystal 60L
.5# - Caramel/Crystal 10L

.5oz Amarillo @ 40 min
.5oz Amarillo @ 20 min

1pkg - Wyeast #1728 (Scottish Ale)

If you have suggestions for maybe a different direction to take the brew, let me know. I like getting feedback (good or bad) to help me with future brews.

Handy
--------------------------------------
New Year's resolution(s): 1) Only drink the beer I make. 2) Only retail alcoholic beverage shall be Single Malt Scotch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Looks like an American pale ale - depending on the final IBU. The American citrus hops I think are the defining feature as they are so in characteristic for British styles. The yeast isn't defining as several classic apa's and IPAs use British yeast.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
Looks like an American pale ale - depending on the final IBU. The American citrus hops I think are the defining feature as they are so in characteristic for British styles. The yeast isn't defining as several classic apa's and IPAs use British yeast.
It's a too-sweet American pale, so I'd call it closest to American amber (American red). 2.5 pounds of crystal in a 9 pound batch is a LOT. That's nearly 28% of the grainbill. That's about twice as much as I'd use.

I'd definitely cut the crystal malt in half, leaving out the 20L and reducing the 60L a bit.

Quick Reply