New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need some help from fruit beer lovers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
reedequine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need some help from fruit beer lovers

A client just gave me a gallon of very nice blueberries from his big farm. I would like to make a blueberry wheat on the order of Seadog Blueberry Ale or maya hefeweizen using California Ale yeast. The berries are washed and frozen. After pasteurization, how much should I add to the secondary? I am assuming that Past. will take away some fruit flavor.

Primary: Westmalle Dubbel Secondary: Forbidden fruit Bottled: Delirium Tremens Drinking: Tommyknocker Maple Nut brown Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

one pound per gallon is usually the standard that I follow with fruit.

Cheers

Old 06-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

A quick question, when using real fruit can we use frozen from the grocery store? I'm assuming those are fairly clean already. Also I'm guessing we toss these guys in the secondary and age on them for a while, anyone have an idea as to how long and how much? We've got an All Purpose Wheat in the primary right now, but we're thinking of splitting the batch to try out different flavors. We might also use extract flavoring for the more difficult ones, like apricot. Any horror storys of fruit beers past would help

mike

ps: sorry to hijack (though only a little)

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 06-27-2007, 01:35 AM   #4
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

If frozen you still need to boil or pasturize them, also look for the ones that the only ingredients listed is "said fruit" and water, many have sugar added and while that isn't the end of the world just a little less desirable, unless of course you desire sugar in your fruit, then........oh never mind just my opinion.

Cheers

Quick Reply