Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need some advice on my IIPA recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Joeneugs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Need some advice on my IIPA recipe

Here it is:

18 lbs. 8 ounces of American 2-Row
1 lb. 12 ounces of Munich 10L

Mash for 30 minutes, vorlauf and fly sparge to collect 7.5 gallons.

85 minute boil.

1 ounce of Simcoe for 85 minutes
1.5 ounces of Simcoe for 30 minutes
add whirlfloc and yeastex for 20 minutes
1 ounce of Amarillo for 15 minutes
2 ounces of Centennial at whirpool
2 ounces of Apollo at whirlpool

Ferment with a half gallon starter of White labs 001

Dry hop for seven days with 3 ounces of Apollo and 3 ounces of Centennial.

My questions are: 1. should I mash for longer than 30 minutes?

2. Beersmith says to add 25 quarts of water @160F for 75
minutes and then 16 quarts at 202F for 10 minutes.
Why?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011, 03:48 AM   #2
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I would definitely mash for at least 60. Otherwise you run the risk of an overly-malty IPA.

Is Beersmith advising you to do a 75 minute mash there? Otherwise your volumes should already be present from the mash/sparge. If its suggesting a 75 minute mash and then a 10 minute sparge/mashout (more likely), those are the default BS settings for most mash profiles that go for a medium or light body. Which profile are you selecting in the application?

Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
Joeneugs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm actually looking for a dryer beer with a lighter body (as light as a 9.5% beer can be)

I was thinking of mashing at 149. I'm not too familiar with the mashout procedure. Is that just adding more water toward the end of the schedule before you start sparging? If so, what are the advantages of that? Lighter body?

As you can see, I'm new to brewing and the beersmith software.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:54 AM   #4
smagee
Most impressive "member"

Recipes 

With IIPAs, I actually usually go with a 60 minute mash at 149F precisely because I want it fairly dry. Even then, I typically have to add a pound of sugar or so during fermentation to get it down to the level I'm looking for.

I rarely do a mashout, so I can't really speak to how it compares to doing a no-mashout single sparge, mashout then sparge, etc.; if you select a mash profile from Beersmith, you have a few pre-set options (that I expect you're using, anyway): single infusion, no sparge; single infusion, no mash-out; single infusion, batch sparge; ... They all come in varying degrees of body as well.

For an IIPA, I'd go with a single infusion batch sparge light body profile. That'll get your temperature where you want (IIRC, the default for light body is 149F already). Once you've selected that, click the little checkmark button thingie next to the selection field to edit the mash profile directly (at least for Beersmith 2; it's been a while since I used 1.x). Your profile will have a single step: Mash In. Double-click it if you want to change the temperature, water/grain ratio, and duration (Step Time). Make the changes you like and click OK to save it all up.

At that point you should be configured such that you're looking at a simple, single infusion mash with a batch sparge (depending on your water volume, it may recommend a double sparge).

Old 09-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Joeneugs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the advice. After doing some research, I may add a bit more bittering hops. Maybe another ounce of Simcoe. I want it to be balanced, and the hops I'm using are a bit old (they've been in my freezer for a couple months.)

What do you think about adding a pound or pound and a half of corn sugar to the fermenter? Should I do it as I pitch the yeast or wait a few days until fermentation slows down?

Also with a beer this big, how long should I let it sit in the primary before transferring to secondary for dry hopping?

I am planning on mashing for 75 minutes as beersmith suggests. Thanks again for the advice!

Old 09-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3307 Times on 2059 Posts
Likes Given: 2827

IIPAs are much more drinkable if 10% of the base malt is replaced with sugar. Helps get the FG down.

Don't skimp on the flavor/aroma hops. Go overboard. Dry hop after fermentation is complete.

IMO, any big beer should be mashed for at least an hour. Longer if possible. Make it as fermentable as possible. Mash low (i.e., 150F) and use a highly attenuative yeast (no english ale yeasts!).

Old 09-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
smagee
Most impressive "member"

Recipes 

If you add the corn sugar, I'd do it about 3-4 days into fermentation. No need to stress the yeast any more than necessary. As for secondary time, I'd go at least 14 days and then check to see where the gravity's at. If it's done fermenting, go ahead and rack onto your dry hops and let them sit for 7-14 more.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
beowulf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you're worried about drying it out enough, I've had good luck racking the wort on a yeastcake of Nottingham. My last barleywine went from 1.091 to 1.006, and that's with no simple sugars. I think I mashed 90 minutes @ 154F on that one. I didn't count on it going that low, but oh well. Notty is a crazy beast! Also, that was with I think the 9th generation of that yeast. Anyway, something to consider...

I could murder a pint! -Lovejoy

Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Joeneugs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I add corn sugar after 4 or 5 days of fermentation, should I still substitute the sugar for grains to adjust the ABV, or take a gravity reading before pitching the sugar and adjust the sugar addition as necessary?

Old 09-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
smagee
Most impressive "member"

Recipes 

I usually factor it in when I create the recipe and gauge my OG accordingly. If I plan for 1lb of sugar from the start, I don't adjust it based on my gravity readings. I toss it all in regardless.

Quick Reply