Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need a recipe for 5 gallons of margaritas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Need a recipe for 5 gallons of margaritas

I want to fill up an empty slot on my brew tower and I think I have settled on making a keg of margaritas because....it seems like an idea that can't possibly have a bad ending right?

I was thinking something like this for a 1 gallon batch:
1 tube limeade concentrate
1 tube lemonade concentrate
1 tube tripel sec
6 cups of tequila

I know it wouldn't be slush but I'm sure I could serve it over ice. Being carbonated might lend good things to the drinks too.

ideas?

anyone got a better recipe? I want to do it as cheaply as possible so that's why I am using the concentrate tubes.

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I'm a huge tequila fan, and I just can't wrap my head around this. Margaritas are best freshly mixed. If this works out, more power to you, but I just can't picture that fate for my favorite mixed drink.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've been to bars that have Margarita's essentially on tap here in KC (Ponaks, Kokopelli's), but they are not carbonated, not sure how that would turn out.

To be honest, I do not see anything going wrong with it. Except somone else drinking all your hooch over a 2 day party.......

Maybe some Tequila mix like the on the border stuff as filler. 5 gallons of Margaritas just sounds like a lot.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #4
scottland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ya, they are best mixed on the spot.

-A good 100% agave blanco or reposado
-Fresh lime juice
-agave syrup
- Cointreau or gran mariner

You can leave out the orange liqour, but I feel it isn't quite a margarita without it

Old 11-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I'm a resposado man myself. Anejo is too spicy for my tastes and blanco just lacks something. Resposado tequilas are the most palate pleasing liquid in the world for me. YUP, even more so than beer!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #6
teucer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've always been a fan of the simple recipe. There are three ingredients, and only three aside from the salt on the glass.

First and foremost, the tequila. No need for the absolute highest quality (though it certainly doesn't hurt), but make damn sure it says "100% de agave" on the bottle and don't buy the cheapest one in the store that does. Blanco (white/silver, unaged) is the classic, but reposado (gold, aged three months to a year) is a good choice too. Añejo (aged at least a year) and extrañejo (aged at least three years) should never be used for mixing - sip them neat like a fine whiskey, and don't bother buying them if you're not getting top-shelf.

Next, the lime juice. Fresh-squeezed is ideal, though in this quantity that's unlikely; avoid anything with too many preservatives and do not, under any circumstances, use Rose's (a lime-flavored ingredient that does not substitute, at all, for lime juice). My go-to is Nellie & Joe's when I don't feel like squeezing my own limes.

Finally, Cointreau. There is no substitute. Not some other brand of triple sec, not Grand Marnier (although that stuff is delicious), Cointreau and Cointreau alone.

The most iconic proportions, in my mind, are 3:1:1. Some people like drier, some sweeter; anywhere from 4:1:1 to 2:1:1 to taste. For a bit more tartness, some people mix 3:2:1 or 4:2:1, but I wouldn't go above 1.5x as much lime juice as cointreau without adding a splash of a sweetener such as agave syrup. Just keep it simple - three gallons tequila, a gallon of lime juice, and a gallon of Cointreau. Serve in a salted glass, over ice.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy
I'm a resposado man myself. Anejo is too spicy for my tastes and blanco just lacks something.
Me too. IMO, anejo covers up the agave taste far too much.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
teucer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm a resposado man myself. Anejo is too spicy for my tastes and blanco just lacks something. Resposado tequilas are the most palate pleasing liquid in the world for me. YUP, even more so than beer!
I favor reposado in my margaritas. Blanco is the classic choice, and is what I'd serve somebody who merely said they wanted a margarita and didn't have known preferences, so it's also what I'd mix in quantity for a crowd (though really, I wouldn't likely do that), but for myself, yeah, reposado.

Añejo is absolutely delicious, but like the higher end of bourbon turning it into a cocktail does it no favors.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:53 AM   #9
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IBA lists the ratios at 7:4:3 (tequila:Cointreau:lime juice). Not a bad ratio, but I probably prefer it 7:3:4 instead. Either way, these are both very similar to 2:1:1, which is actually perfectly in between the two.

IMO, it's important to use the thinner-skinned key limes, if you can find them.

Also, a lot of places use simple syrup or another sweetener as well.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #10
teucer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
IBA lists the ratios at 7:4:3 (tequila:Cointreau:lime juice). Not a bad ratio, but I probably prefer it 7:3:4 instead. Either way, these are both very similar to 2:1:1, which is actually perfectly in between the two.
Almost everyone I've known likes it drier than IBA specs, though.

Quote:
IMO, it's important to use the thinner-skinned key limes, if you can find them.
The brand of bottled lime juice I suggested, Nellie & Joe's, is made from key limes.

Quick Reply