New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need patience with a Belgian Golden Strong Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
steelerguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Need patience with a Belgian Golden Strong Ale

So back on May 4th I brewed this:

Grains:
1. 1 lb. Dingeman’s Pilsen Malt
2. .5 lbs. Munton's CaraPils 12L
Extracts:
1. 8 lbs. Briess Pilsen DME 2L
Adjuncts:
1. 2 lbs. Belgian Candi Sugar Light
Boil: 60 minutes
Hop schedule:
1. 1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.5% AA - 60 mins
2. 1 oz. Willamette 4.6% AA - 60 mins
3. 1 oz. Czech Saaz 3.2% AA - 15 mins
4. .5 oz. Czech Saaz 3.2% AA - 10 mins
5. .5 oz. Czech Saaz 3.2% AA – 5 min

Now that I look back...not nearly enough grain, but anyway... When I racked this to the secondary after 3 weeks in the fermentor I thought it tasted like pears, not entirely bad, but very fruity. When I bottled it a couple months later, it tasted harsh and well...just not very good. I waited a couple weeks, chilled a couple bottles and...damn, just not a good beer. Ya sure, it needed to age a few more months but it would taste good now if it was going to and it didn't....very disappointed.

Well my APA and brown ale are now gone, I hame some beers bottled but carbing, a beer in the secondary, and another in the primary. How about I chill a few bottles of the crappy Belgian since I need to drink it. Crack one open and it forms and amazing head, smells good too. Take my first sip and a big smile crosses my face. Holy crap, two months in the bottle (5 months total) and this beer is tasting good now. Finished the first and had to enjoy another...simply amazing the transformation this beer has made. I can't wait to see how it ages, so far it is aging with amazing grace!f

Just thought I would share my experience with some people who perhaps have judged their beer too quickly...especially a high gravity beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What was the OG and FG of the beer?

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 04-01-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
steelerguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Okay, a bit late with my answer but 1.087 and 1.016 looking back through my notes. Have been slowly drinking the last few bottles while my AG version of this ages.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Just last night I pulled a 10-day sample from my first BGSA and it's very similar gravity to yours, OG was 1.088.

I almost always taste the hydro sample but I just couldn't bring myself to drink that stuff. Smelled awful...and pretty hot.

Yesterday I was reading something about aging/conditioning Doppelbocks (Kaiser's recipe page) and there was mention of a chemical process between the higher alcohols (prevalent in high grav fermentations) and the acidic beer that form some dark/ripe fruit notes. This is something that apparently happens very late in the conditioning (several months in). Did you notice anything like that?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Early on my Tripel was very alcohol hot and a little thin tasting with little in the way of that fruity Tripel character. As it has aged I have noticed the fruitiness you mention coming out more and more, and the alcohol heat is now gone (last one I tried was as drinkable as a session beer!).

I oaked mine so I don't plan on drinking most of it until it's at least a year in the bottles. It has been in the bottle since September now so I'm due to pop another one and try it, stuck one in the fridge last night in fact... Last sample was in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
steelerguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Just last night I pulled a 10-day sample from my first BGSA and it's very similar gravity to yours, OG was 1.088.

I almost always taste the hydro sample but I just couldn't bring myself to drink that stuff. Smelled awful...and pretty hot.

Yesterday I was reading something about aging/conditioning Doppelbocks (Kaiser's recipe page) and there was mention of a chemical process between the higher alcohols (prevalent in high grav fermentations) and the acidic beer that form some dark/ripe fruit notes. This is something that apparently happens very late in the conditioning (several months in). Did you notice anything like that?
I absolutely noticed some ripe fruit notes come out...not so much dark fruit though, although that is probably a yeast strain and no dark crystal thing. It was quite hot, after carbing, not pleasant at all. After a couple months the harsh alcohol tones completely disappeared, there is still some alcohol warmth, but in a good way, not harsh at all. The fruit notes were typical pear flavor with some lychee or something...succulent fruit flavors I guess is the best description. It took 5 months for this to develop and got better over the next couple. I would say after 8 months there was no noticeable change in character, at least not without having a younger sample handy...which of course I didn't.

On a side note, the AG version I did of this is going through the same thing. It is about 3 months old now and just carbed. Hot and lacks complexity, would be worried other than I have been through this before. Actually tastes better than the extract version did at 3 months, but not going to drink anymore for another couple months since I know it will continue to develop.

Last edited by steelerguy; 04-01-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply