Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need a Manny's Pale Ale clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #11
BeezBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Made this from extract last March:

5.5 lb dry light extract
1 lb Crystal 40L
.5 lb Cara-Pils
.4 oz Columbus 60 min
.5 oz Cascade 30 min
.5 oz Cascade 5 min
Safale-04 yeast

Turned out really well, took some time to come into its own. From what i remember from the original, i think mine had less hop aroma, so you may be right about the dry hopping. But i think the bitterness and malt character were pretty spot on. If you like this beer, i would recommend looking into Mac and Jacks as well, another great hoppy beer. Plus, i believe Mac and Jacks brewery does similar techniques as Georgetowns, dry hopping kegs and keeping it unfiltered. Best of luck.

God i miss Northwest brews.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
mr_marples
Recipes 

I think I'll brew a batch this weekend. By the way, Manny worked at Mac n Jacks before starting Georgetown Brewering and I understand that he is responsible for creating Mac n Jacks African Amber.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
GC89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_marples View Post
I think I'll brew a batch this weekend. By the way, Manny worked at Mac n Jacks before starting Georgetown Brewering and I understand that he is responsible for creating Mac n Jacks African Amber.
you mean duplicating

Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #14
mr_marples
Recipes 

creating, as in the original creator of the Mac n Jacks African Amber recipe

Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #15
GC89
Recipes 

African amber is Mack and Jack's full attemp to replicate Mad River Brewing's Jamacan Red.

Still a great beer, but a funny story about the only beer anyone actually dubs, "Mack and Jack's"

Last edited by GC89; 09-29-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 AM   #16
BeezBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC89 View Post
African amber is Mack and Jack's full attemp to replicate Mad River Brewing's Jamacan Red.

Still a great beer, but a funny story about the only beer anyone actually dubs, "Mack and Jack's"
Cool story bro, not to defend Mac and Jack's, but where did you hear that story from? Anything i can read up on?

God i miss Northwest brews.....

Old 09-30-2009, 06:05 AM   #17
GC89
Recipes 

I sat in on a brew session there.

I love African Amber just think its a funny story. Mind you this all happened when Mack and Jacks was really small. Supposedly local bar, dont recall which one mentioned told Mack and Jack's they wanted a beer like "this", meaning the Jamaican red. Mack and Jack's did some trial and error and worked out a recipe and before you knew it everyone was going to the bar to get it and that really started things for them.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:56 AM   #18
krztoff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon111 View Post
Use the same specialty grains but swap out the Pale malt with 5 lbs 6 oz of Light DME. If you're doing a concentrated boil (3 gallons) up the initial Magnum addition to 3/4 oz.
Did anyone ever finish a batch with this recipe to make a comparison?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:06 AM   #19
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_marples View Post
I don't know if anyone is still following this post. I was working up a recipe last night and had a couple of thoughts to add.

The beer is marketed as unfiltered so it should definately be cloudy, no finings. Their instructions are to store kegs upside down to keep the sediment from sticking to the bottom and the distributor has advised at least one bar owner to flip a half full keg to "refresh", resuspending the solids that have settled out.

I remember reading or hearing once that Manny significantly overpitches the yeast, so a big starter is in order.

Also, I am pretty sure it is dry hopped. A new keg has a lot of fresh hop flavor.
That's really odd. But this beer is very cloudy, so it doesn't surprise me I guess. When the website called for an English yeast, I thought it was one of the rare low flocculating English strains. It really doesn't taste yeasty though. Man, I gotta go to the pub and give it another shot with this in mind.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #20
Mooseknuckle2000
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I stopped by the brewery the other day and picked up a growler of Manny's and a growler or Chopper's Red. I asked the guy at the counter if they would be willing to give out any yeast harvests and he said they're not brewing at the facility anymore, they do it somewhere else now. He said they used to give out some harvests, but he's not sure. He gave me an email address to ask someone, but I haven't pursued it yet. If I get my hands on some, I'd like to try to make a batch of Manny's. Can anyone confirm that the extract recipe listed here is close?

On Deck: IPA
In the Hole: Mojito Cider

Quick Reply