New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need input on my barley wine all grain recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
Beard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Like mentioned above just pitch two packs of notty and also dry hop when you bulk age if you want hop aroma. I also pitch a little bit of yeast at bottling if it has aged a long time just to be on the safe side.

I love beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think I'd ditch the carapils too, most extracts have some in it anyway. If you're using it for head retention, maybe swap in some flaked wheat for it instead.

and I'd definitely go with the dry hop, but how do you feel about using FWH as well?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
Lando
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for all the input, but why plan to do a 90 min boil? I thought this was mainly used for driving off DME from pilsner malts?

Old 05-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #14
maskednegator
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
Thanks for all the input, but why plan to do a 90 min boil? I thought this was mainly used for driving off DME from pilsner malts?
You're going to be mashing with 6 gallons of water, plus whatever (likely high amount) you need to get to your recipe's planned 75% efficiency.
You'll end up with 9+ gallons in the kettle, so you'll need a long boil. This is a good thing with barleywines, as you'll get some awesome kettle carmelization and melanoidin flavors.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
maskednegator
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

How big is your mash tun? You may want to redo your recipe so that you get your preboil volume without a sparge. This will save you a lot of time for like 10 bucks in grain. Just set your efficiency to 60% or so, and see what you get.
After your barleywine is done, sparge for a small beer.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #16
Lando
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

mash tun is 48 quart cooler. Boil kettle is 8 gallons.

Might be a bit tight....

Last edited by Lando; 05-26-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
Lando
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Trying to figure out what happened here. I did roughly 6.3 gallons of mash water and roughly 9 gallons of sparge. I kept adding to my 8 gallon boil kettle until I condensed about 6 gallons down to the OG I was shooting for before adding brown sugar and DME, which was 1.083. I ended up dumping about 2 gallons of wort that I did not need.

BeerTools recipe has my gravity listed at 1.115 once the DME and brown sugar is added.

So I got my gravity to 1.083, added the DME and brown sugar and did my hour long boil with hop additions, cooled the wort and prior to pitching.

I took another reading and it was around 1.071 and this was after boiling 1.083 wort for another hour and adding 3lbs of DME and 1 lb of brown sugar.
I used an online hydrometer calculator for the temp conversion so that it was accurate.

WTF? Why would my gravity just before pitching be a lower reading than it was before adding 4 lbs of fermentables and boiling for another hour?
Could the 5-6oz of hops have anything to do with the hydrometer reading?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
maskednegator
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Did your hydrometer stick to the side of the tube? Is it calibrated?
There is simply no way that your wort density dropped. Something is fishy with your measurements.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #19
Lando
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My thoughts as well.
I took the reading three times and it was the same. I have heard of sugar settling into the bottom of the container if it sits for a period of time. (Stratification?)
If this can happen it may be the culprit. I let the wort sit in a bucket overnight before i took the final reading and pitched. If some of it settled into the bottom then that could account for the strange reading i guess, but not for sure on what is going on.
Either way, when brewig my gravity was where it needed to be so if I get a good FG then no worries.

I did oversparge my grain and ended up with too much wort, but that doesn't sound like it is related to this issue. I know next time to adjust my sparge water and not use .5 gallon per grain with a large grain bill like this one.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #20
maskednegator
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, adjust your efficiency down so that you design your recipe around knowing that you'll only sparge half of what you normally do. That's one way to make sure you get the sugars you need without performing a 4 hour boil.

Quick Reply