Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need help with grains, hops and yeast.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Jbird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Need help with grains, hops and yeast.

I would like to get a large amount of grains, hops and yeast so I can brew just about anytime I want. I want help with this too. I would like to know how to store grains and how long they last. Also what is the best way to store hops? I would also like to know the best/common grains and hops to buy. I just want to be able to walk in my brew room and know that I can make a good beer 1 or 5gallons.
So if you can help guys that would be Awsome. I'm think g of getting like 50lb of grains each so just need your help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Most of these questions depend entirely on what you normally brew. Can you provide some details? The kinds of hops/grains/yeast you would want to have on hand to brew an IPA may be entirely different than what you'd want to brew belgians.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Jbird
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoat
Most of these questions depend entirely on what you normally brew. Can you provide some details? The kinds of hops/grains/yeast you would want to have on hand to brew an IPA may be entirely different than what you'd want to brew belgians.
I like IPAs, nut browns. I guess I just need to look at my recipes and decide from there. How so you suggest I store them?

Old 03-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 924 Times on 660 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

I store my bulk grains in bins with a gasket seal - I bought them at a pet store, they are intended to store dry pet food. Hops should be stored in the freezer in airtight containers or bags. Yeast you can't really stock up on too much in advance because of viability issues, although you could pay attention to dry yeast packets printed expiration dates and keep a few on hand.

As mentioned above, what you'll want to buy in bulk depends on your brewing. Here's my current status:

55 lb bags of two row barley malt, wheat malt and Munich malt. 1/3rd of a 55 lb bag (split three ways) of Caramel 20L and 60L. 10 lb bags of roasted barley and chocolate malt.

Hops: Centennial, Amarillo, Mosaic, Bravo, Summit, Nelson Sauvin, Hallertauer, Citra, Mt. Ranier, East Kent Goldings and Challenger.

I've got a few packets of US-05 yeast, a packet of Windsor, and a vial of WLP028.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
Jbird
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_
I store my bulk grains in bins with a gasket seal - I bought them at a pet store, they are intended to store dry pet food. Hops should be stored in the freezer in airtight containers or bags. Yeast you can't really stock up on too much in advance because of viability issues, although you could pay attention to dry yeast packets printed expiration dates and keep a few on hand.

As mentioned above, what you'll want to buy in bulk depends on your brewing. Here's my current status:

55 lb bags of two row barley malt, wheat malt and Munich malt. 1/3rd of a 55 lb bag (split three ways) of Caramel 20L and 60L. 10 lb bags of roasted barley and chocolate malt.

Hops: Centennial, Amarillo, Mosaic, Bravo, Summit, Nelson Sauvin, Hallertauer, Citra, Mt. Ranier, East Kent Goldings and Challenger.

I've got a few packets of US-05 yeast, a packet of Windsor, and a vial of WLP028.
Very nice. I am looking at my recipes now to see what I might like to stock.

Quick Reply