Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need a good Oatmeal Stout for 1st brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
SevenFields
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Need a good Oatmeal Stout for 1st brew

I am going to start making my 1st homebrew in a few weeks, once my kit comes. I want to brew an Oatmeal Stout for my 1st brew.
Can someone recommend a good one?
I was leaning towards the extract kits on Midwest. What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Midwest's basic extract oatmeal stout looks OK. It comes with Munton's yeast, which will leave you with a relatively high finish gravity. That will the stout sweeter and leave it with more body than some kits.

Upgrading to the Wyeast Irish Ale would be a good move and give you a drier beer. But, if it's really hot out there, sticking with the Munton's would be wise.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-01-2009, 04:01 AM   #3
KatoBaggins
Recipes 

If you've every had a Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, then I think you may want to go with Austin Homebrew's version: Austin Homebrew Supply You can order it as extract, mini-mash or AG.

I haven't tried it yet, but if it's half as good as the real thing, I will be completely satisfied. I'll let you know because I have the AG kit in my closet waiting for a free weekend.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatoBaggins View Post
If you've every had a Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, then I think you may want to go with Austin Homebrew's version: Austin Homebrew Supply You can order it as extract, mini-mash or AG.

I haven't tried it yet, but if it's half as good as the real thing, I will be completely satisfied. I'll let you know because I have the AG kit in my closet waiting for a free weekend.

I do like the Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. Thanks for the recomendation!

Quick Reply