The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need advice for wheat beer recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
1fastdoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Need advice for wheat beer recipe

First and foremost: I love dunkelweizens and I like American wheats. My favorite beer on Earth is the Aventinus wheat dopple. I do not like hefeweizens -- too sour.

Sitting at home I have:
3lbs of wheat DME
1 lb of roasted barley
2 oz tettnanger (3.9 aa)
2 oz hallertau (4.5 aa)
Wyeast 1010 Am wheat

So I'm thinking:
3 lbs wheat DME
? 2 lbs of 2 row pale malt
1/4 lb roasted barley
1 oz hallertau (60 min)
1/2 or 1 oz tettnanger (5 min)

My main question is the hops. I don't want to go overboard on the hops. I prefer malty but not cloyingly sweet brews and flat out don't like more bitter beers like IPAs. I do plan on getting some pale malt from a friend and do a partial mash to raise the gravity a little bit.

I guess the biggest problem I have is I don't know what I'm trying to make. I just want to experiment but I don't want to spend the time and money on something that is going to taste like ass. A roasty wheat beer sounds kind of tasty if it's well balanced.

Should I stick only with the DME or add the pale malt?
Suggetions on hops? Include the Tett for finishing? Use Hallertau instead?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I don't know about roasted barley in a wheat. If you want something like Aventinus, check this out...

0.20 lbs. Belgian Caramunich® info
0.20 lbs. Crystal Malt 80°L info
0.10 lbs. Chocolate Wheat Malt info
9.25 lbs. Liquid Wheat Extract info
1.0 lbs. Candi Sugar Dark info
1.0 oz. Tettnanger (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1.0 oz. Hallertau Mittelfruh (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 15 min. info
Yeast : WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen info

Make sure you ferment it on the cool side to play up the clove esters

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 11-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Questions: If you don't like HWs then why are you using German hops? Wouldn't American hops be preferred?

You can still make a sweet German weizen...

Old 11-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Questions: If you don't like HWs then why are you using German hops? Wouldn't American hops be preferred?

You can still make a sweet German weizen...
Well he said Hefes are sour to him. I would think thats coming from the malt, not the hops. I know the Franziskaner clone has acid malt in it. No palates are the same, but I don't see Hefes as sour. American wheats are much more tart IMO. Hefeweizens are just malty goodness...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 11-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Hefe's and dunkelweizens are practially the same thing. Dunkel adds a small amount of darkening grain to a regular hefeweizen bill. they use the same hops, yeast and fermenting temp usually. You must have just had a bad hefe and a good dunkel. Or, were they from the same brand?

I use a small amount of carafa III in my dunkel

Old 11-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brew a traditional American Wheat and add some Caraffa III to make it dunkle. Use an American Wheat Yeast strain and you will have more of a neutral balance.

(I like carafa II and III as well).

It is all in the yeast.

- WW

Willie3

NJ HOPZ - North Jersey Homebrewers Organization of Praciticing Zymurgisits

FINAL GRAVITY PODCAST PERSONALITY

I brew therefor I am!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
1fastdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
Hefe's and dunkelweizens are practially the same thing. Dunkel adds a small amount of darkening grain to a regular hefeweizen bill. they use the same hops, yeast and fermenting temp usually. You must have just had a bad hefe and a good dunkel. Or, were they from the same brand?

I use a small amount of carafa III in my dunkel
I should have been more clear on the preferences. I don't like a lot of Belgian brews (Wyeast 3056 style). I think it's the yeast, because it's definately not the hops I have an aversion to. Beers like Widmer Hefeweizen are alright but nothing special to me.

I already have plenty of dunkel (Wyeast 3068) in my beer closet as well as a blackberry wheat (Some American wheat strain). I'm looking to experiment more with wheat-based brews. Since I have some roasted barley at home I thought I'd see how that would flavor a wheat beer.

I'm just trying to figure out how to use the hops as far as bittering and finishing goes. I notice that recipe above for the Aventinus clone (which I'm not pursuing right now) has the Tett for bittering and the Hallertau for finishing -- the opposite of what I've seen from other recipes. The other issue is how much should I use.

And since we're discussing wheat recipes, anyone know how I can clone this:

I had that at the Brickskeller in DC and I've been unable to find a way to recreate it. I could put down a case of that stuff in an afternoon.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Wyeast 3056/68 are both hefeweizen yeasts. Try some good Hefeweizens (e.g. Paulaner, Hacker Pschorr, and Weihenstephaner) and then decide if you do or don't like them...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 11-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc
I should have been more clear on the preferences. I don't like a lot of Belgian brews (Wyeast 3056 style). I think it's the yeast, because it's definately not the hops I have an aversion to. Beers like Widmer Hefeweizen are alright but nothing special to me.

I already have plenty of dunkel (Wyeast 3068) in my beer closet as well as a blackberry wheat (Some American wheat strain). I'm looking to experiment more with wheat-based brews. Since I have some roasted barley at home I thought I'd see how that would flavor a wheat beer.

I'm just trying to figure out how to use the hops as far as bittering and finishing goes. I notice that recipe above for the Aventinus clone (which I'm not pursuing right now) has the Tett for bittering and the Hallertau for finishing -- the opposite of what I've seen from other recipes. The other issue is how much should I use.

And since we're discussing wheat recipes, anyone know how I can clone this:

I had that at the Brickskeller in DC and I've been unable to find a way to recreate it. I could put down a case of that stuff in an afternoon.
Belgian wheats will use a Belgian Wit yeast like: WYeast 3944 or 3942

3056 is also a German (bavarian) hefeweizen yeast just like 3068. They are VERY similar. One has more of a clove nose/flavor whereas the other has more of a banana nose/flavor (3068). I am in no way trying to make you feel wrong, just help you make sure you get the beer you want.

Also, I have used roasted barley in a dunkelweizen before and it was ok, I don't think I will do it again though.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
1fastdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Paulaner is okay and Weihenstephaner had the sour taste I mentioned earlier (They also have the only dunkel I've had that I don't particularly care for). Hacker is a new one to me. None of them are beers I'd order at a bar. Blue Moon is alright and I'll order that if the only other options are BMC domestics and the big name imports.

I do like fruit wheat beers though as well as the dunkels, hence my desire to experiment with a wheat based brew.

Quick Reply