Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need advice on Apricot Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Need advice on Apricot Wheat

OK, so I'm not a huge wheat beer fan at all, and I've brewed zero of them. I know very little about them. But, I'm hosting another poker party/beer slugging gathering in a couple months and I know a couple of the guys at least would appreciate having something like this available. Plus, I want a good recipe I can use when necessary. Who knows, maybe I'll even develop a taste for the stuff.

I have an apricot tree that usually does very nice work. I'd like to incorporate the apricots into an annual wheat beer recipe.

Question: Would this work better as a Hefeweizen, or more of an American style clear wheat beer? With this answered, I'm sure I could find a model recipe in the database, but I'd also appreciate any other suggestions from the experts out there.

You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would expect that most fruit beers may do better as a hazy Hefeweizen style beer just because the fruit will add to your particulate matter in the bottle. Also, the fruity character of Hefeweizen style yeast would accentuate your fruitiness. You'll want to be careful with the hops selection though, you don't want to overpower the apricot flavor as its pretty delicate. Don't boil the apricots either, or you'll get the pectin setting and causing a permanent chill haze that will make the beer super cloudy.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
vgoreham
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBrain View Post
OK, so I'm not a huge wheat beer fan at all, and I've brewed zero of them. I know very little about them. But, I'm hosting another poker party/beer slugging gathering in a couple months and I know a couple of the guys at least would appreciate having something like this available. Plus, I want a good recipe I can use when necessary. Who knows, maybe I'll even develop a taste for the stuff.

I have an apricot tree that usually does very nice work. I'd like to incorporate the apricots into an annual wheat beer recipe.

Question: Would this work better as a Hefeweizen, or more of an American style clear wheat beer? With this answered, I'm sure I could find a model recipe in the database, but I'd also appreciate any other suggestions from the experts out there.
This is pretty good, and is of the American style variety. It's not typically my thing, but it is probably the SWMBO's favourite beer (especially with sushi!).

http://www.mcauslan.com/en/ourbeers/sta_apricot.htm

Old 05-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Torontobrew
Recipes 

Default apricot wheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgoreham View Post
This is pretty good, and is of the American style variety. It's not typically my thing, but it is probably the SWMBO's favourite beer (especially with sushi!).

http://www.mcauslan.com/en/ourbeers/sta_apricot.htm

Have you ever tried to brew an apricot wheat in the style of the macauslan? It's my SWMBO's favorite too, and I would like to produce something similar to help justify all the money I am spending on gear for her!!

Just wondered if you had any advice (as I think it would still be relevant to the thread!)

Thanks

Old 05-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
vgoreham
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobrew View Post
Have you ever tried to brew an apricot wheat in the style of the macauslan? It's my SWMBO's favorite too, and I would like to produce something similar to help justify all the money I am spending on gear for her!!

Just wondered if you had any advice (as I think it would still be relevant to the thread!)

Thanks

I haven't. I plan to get to one at some point this year, though. I'll try to remember to update this thread if/when I do.

Quick Reply