Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need advice on Apricot Wheat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BrewBrain's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,110
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Need advice on Apricot Wheat

OK, so I'm not a huge wheat beer fan at all, and I've brewed zero of them. I know very little about them. But, I'm hosting another poker party/beer slugging gathering in a couple months and I know a couple of the guys at least would appreciate having something like this available. Plus, I want a good recipe I can use when necessary. Who knows, maybe I'll even develop a taste for the stuff.

I have an apricot tree that usually does very nice work. I'd like to incorporate the apricots into an annual wheat beer recipe.

Question: Would this work better as a Hefeweizen, or more of an American style clear wheat beer? With this answered, I'm sure I could find a model recipe in the database, but I'd also appreciate any other suggestions from the experts out there.

__________________

You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

BrewBrain is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
KAMMEE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peoria, Illinois
Posts: 388
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I would expect that most fruit beers may do better as a hazy Hefeweizen style beer just because the fruit will add to your particulate matter in the bottle. Also, the fruity character of Hefeweizen style yeast would accentuate your fruitiness. You'll want to be careful with the hops selection though, you don't want to overpower the apricot flavor as its pretty delicate. Don't boil the apricots either, or you'll get the pectin setting and causing a permanent chill haze that will make the beer super cloudy.

__________________
KAMMEE is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
vgoreham
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBrain View Post
OK, so I'm not a huge wheat beer fan at all, and I've brewed zero of them. I know very little about them. But, I'm hosting another poker party/beer slugging gathering in a couple months and I know a couple of the guys at least would appreciate having something like this available. Plus, I want a good recipe I can use when necessary. Who knows, maybe I'll even develop a taste for the stuff.

I have an apricot tree that usually does very nice work. I'd like to incorporate the apricots into an annual wheat beer recipe.

Question: Would this work better as a Hefeweizen, or more of an American style clear wheat beer? With this answered, I'm sure I could find a model recipe in the database, but I'd also appreciate any other suggestions from the experts out there.
This is pretty good, and is of the American style variety. It's not typically my thing, but it is probably the SWMBO's favourite beer (especially with sushi!).

http://www.mcauslan.com/en/ourbeers/sta_apricot.htm
__________________
vgoreham is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Torontobrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: toronto ON
Posts: 16
Default apricot wheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgoreham View Post
This is pretty good, and is of the American style variety. It's not typically my thing, but it is probably the SWMBO's favourite beer (especially with sushi!).

http://www.mcauslan.com/en/ourbeers/sta_apricot.htm

Have you ever tried to brew an apricot wheat in the style of the macauslan? It's my SWMBO's favorite too, and I would like to produce something similar to help justify all the money I am spending on gear for her!!

Just wondered if you had any advice (as I think it would still be relevant to the thread!)

Thanks
__________________
Torontobrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
vgoreham
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobrew View Post
Have you ever tried to brew an apricot wheat in the style of the macauslan? It's my SWMBO's favorite too, and I would like to produce something similar to help justify all the money I am spending on gear for her!!

Just wondered if you had any advice (as I think it would still be relevant to the thread!)

Thanks

I haven't. I plan to get to one at some point this year, though. I'll try to remember to update this thread if/when I do.
__________________
vgoreham is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
apricot wheat beer Jim Karr Extract Brewing 17 05-18-2010 04:36 PM
How much for apricot wheat? MikeM Bottling/Kegging 2 08-07-2009 11:09 PM
apricot wheat dougler13 Extract Brewing 3 04-05-2008 03:52 AM
Apricot Wheat FG? brewawan Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 02-01-2008 02:51 PM
My AG & AF apricot wheat. photogscott All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 07-03-2007 11:34 AM