Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Nectarines in beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
chs9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Nectarines in beer?

I'm considering brewing a nectarine wheat later this summer. Has anybody ever used or tasted nectarines in a beer? How'd it turn out? Any suggestions on quantity or preparation? I was probably thinking 4-6 lbs, diced, but have no experience with using fruit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

i cant really speak to your other questions but i can give you a few tips on the preparation. first peal the fruit. then chop and mash them up as much as you can. then freeze them for a day or two. then thaw them out. this will break up the cells giving the yeast better access at the juice and sugars. next you blanch the fruit for a few seconds to kill anything that may be living on them. then add them to the secondary after fermentation has died down. you may think about adding some pectic enzyme to prevent pectic haze. but seeing as this is a wheat i don't think it will matter much.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
bfeucht
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another option is to just use the zest.

Here is a recipe I have on deck for my summer beer:
http://www.homebrewjunkie.com/2010/0...ange-beer.html

Haven't ever tried it so I can't provide any feedback.

Quick Reply