Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Mystery hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Shawn Hargreaves
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Mystery hops

Last fall I harvested nearly a pound of hops from our friends yard, and am now trying to decide what to do with them.

I have no idea what the variety is. They smell pretty floral, almost like Fuggles or Willamette, but I don't see as many seeds as I'm used to with Fuggles.

Any advice on the best way to proceed, given the uncertainty as to flavor, AA, etc? I'm thinking something really clean and simple would be the best way to focus on the hop contribution, so I can learn more about them for use in more complex future brews. Here's what I'm planning right now:

3 lb Pilsner malt
1 lb Crystal 20
3.3 lb Pilsner extract (late addition)
1 oz unknown hops (60 mins)
1 oz unknown hops (20 mins)
1 oz unknown hops (10 mins)
Wyeast 2565 (Kolsch)
If I estimate the hops at 5% AA, this should give me 25 IBU, which seems about right for a light style like this. I'm deliberately aiming in the middle of the range here because of the uncertainty. For instance if they are actually 8%, this would give me 40 IBU, or if they are 3%, I'd get 15 IBU.

Does this seem sane? Any better ideas on what I should do with these?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Sounds good, although I'd probably do a SMaSH with the hops, so as to understand the qualities better, less flavors to get in the way, perhaps Marris Otter if you think they might be a fuggles variety

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply