Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My Utopia Clone brew .....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So the current update on this brew is as follows:

I have added the last 10 oz. addition of maple syrup to the brew. I took a SG reading, but it was very difficult to get an accurate reading. After I put the sample in the hydrometer tube the sample got very active, forming a head. My best guess is about 1.085 - 1.090. This is where is was prior to the second addtion of maple syrup, and now all my maple syrup is in the batch. I have added a total of 32 oz. maple syrup.

I will let it go for a week, rousing the yeast daily, then take another gravity reading.

I will decide at that time if I am going to add more beano, or not. Also I will decide if I need to add a pack of EC1118 yeast.

It looks and smells wonderful. Now it's just a wait and monitor thing.

More to come as this ferments out.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
Bombo80

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I rouse the yeast and give it a little heat (sitting on a towle, on a heating pad) a couple times a day. SG as of this morning was 1.060. So this is moving in the right direction, and still has a good amount of activity. The hydometer sample starts foaming after I get it filled. This is what makes it difficult to take a reading, but I have figured it out that I need to get it filled and make my reading as fast as possible. I will give it another week and see how the fermentation is going. I still haven't added any more yeast, just the two innoculations of the super high gravity yeast.

More to come.....

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Old 01-26-2011, 06:08 AM   #13
slvrstang
Recipes 

Any final gravity numbers or updates?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #14
Bombo80

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I haven't got around to checking them for a while. Wow, I didn't realize it has been a month. I keep rousing the yeast once or twice a day. I can tell things are slowing down. Not much activity after the rousing. The aroma expelled while rousing the yeast smells really awesome. Hopefully I can find time tonight to check it.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
Jrod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's so dissapointing when you get to the end of a thread and it ends on a cliffhanger. How low were you able to get the FG?

Old 11-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #16
Bombo80

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Unfortunately this brew has completely stalled out at 1.090. Way to sweet to even think about drinking. My plan is to do a 2 gallon batch of barleywine at 1.090 and when it's at a full rolling fermentation, add a couple quarts of my Utopia at a time to it, and get it to finish. It won't be as strong as I was shooting for, but it was a learning experience none the less.

I will update when I get to that point. I am hoping to brew this coming weekend.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
bfpierce
Recipes 

I tried this too. OG of about 1.25. Stalled for two weeks now at 1.12. Thinking about adding champagne yeast. Smells wonderful. Maybe my OG was too high, who knows.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
rhoadsrage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Mine stalled at about 18 %ABV and I just couldn't get it to budge. I aged it for a year on bourbon soaked oak cubes and just bottled about a month ago. It is super sweet but has a great flavor. I should have added some vodka or some clean spirit to boost the alcohol like a "beer port". That would really help cut the sweetness, but keep all the great flavor

My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; but ah, my foes and oh, my friends it gives a lovely light. Edna st. Vincent

Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
Bombo80

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't have my notes with me, but I brewed that small barleywine I talked about. It had a SG of 1.090. Once I had a full rolling fermentation, I added in my stalled brew, half a gallon at a time. Usually one in the morning and another at night.

If memory serves me, it ended about a 1.040. This is still very sweet, but has some very good flavor, and no jet fuel burn like the real SA Utopia.

My next step is to add a couple oak spirals and see how that effects the flavor.

More to come.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Quick Reply