Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My usual HBS will no longer carry Wyeast!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default My usual HBS will no longer carry Wyeast!

My usual HBS will no longer carry Wyeast! "09/15/2011: We have decided to discontinue our long association with Wyeast Labs."

I'm really bummed about this!

good news is they are running a sale on it @ 25% off.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
SkyHighBrew88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wonder why...?

Mine stopped carrying white labs a couple years ago because people were having issues with it. Weird.

==========================================
PRIMARY --Star-San
SECONDARY-- Empty
CURRENTLY IN BOTTLES -- Black & Blue Amber Ale
FUTURE BREWS -- DFH 90 Minute, Flying Dog Raging Bitch CYBI clone, Rye Saison

Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 321

That does suck.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I can see at least one reason why. Follow my reasoning here. Yeast is a perishable product. There are two major suppliers of liquid yeast. Wyeast has 50 varieties of brewer's yeast, plus wine, mead, cider and sake yeasts. White labs, about the same.

So if a homebrew store wants to be THE local source for everyone who wants to ferment something, the owner must stock at least 100 strains of yeast. Now, I pay $7 for an XL smack pack. I don't know what the exact margin is, but a pretty standard retail markup is 100%, so for argument's sake let's say he paid $3.50 per pack. If he's smart, he'll stock multiples of the most popular strains, like 1056 and WLP001, so you can at least double the amount of units ordered, probably triple it.

That's a lot of inventory spoiling on your shelf.

If the locals aren't buying it - maybe they're using mostly dry yeasts or White Labs - it makes perfect sense to drop the line. If he doesn't he's going to throw good money after bad, letting smack pack after smack pack go out of date (spoil). That's loss. A good business doesn't tolerate loss.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 09-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Time to start washing yeast!

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 09-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I can see at least one reason why. Follow my reasoning here. Yeast is a perishable product. There are two major suppliers of liquid yeast. Wyeast has 50 varieties of brewer's yeast, plus wine, mead, cider and sake yeasts. White labs, about the same.

So if a homebrew store wants to be THE local source for everyone who wants to ferment something, the owner must stock at least 100 strains of yeast. Now, I pay $7 for an XL smack pack. I don't know what the exact margin is, but a pretty standard retail markup is 100%, so for argument's sake let's say he paid $3.50 per pack. If he's smart, he'll stock multiples of the most popular strains, like 1056 and WLP001, so you can at least double the amount of units ordered, probably triple it.

If the locals aren't buying it - maybe they're using mostly dry yeasts or White Labs - it makes perfect sense to drop the line. If he doesn't he's going to throw good money after bad, letting smack pack after smack pack go out of date (spoil). That's loss. A good business doesn't tolerate loss.

Bob
Exactly what I was thinking; he's tossing too much expired yeast. I'd rather have a shop that carries most everything that one supplier has, than one that just carried the top sellers from both providers. There's so much overlap between the two suppliers, anyway.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Bob
This is exactly why the hbs in the Quebec area will usually stock only the top 5 strains from their liquid yeast provider (mainly wyeast, I know one guy who has white labs) and 4 times a year, you can place an order for whatever yeast you want and they get a fresh pack from the manufacturer for you.

It's a bit more hassle than just walking in and buying what you want, but at least it allows the shops to continue to carry liquid yeast.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 374

times like this makes me glad my LHBS is Northern Brewer.

wyeast i bought yesterday was manf. last week.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 09-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2136 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

With the price of dry yeast going up more, and the price of liquid already high, I'm preparing to wash and freeze my yeast so I can have a decent selection on hand all the time.

Got my canner for sterilizing, and some Glycerin to keep them from being damaged too badly by the freeze. Just need to pick up some more vials.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
permo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Just wash yeast and/or harvest from commercial examples. I have brewed nearly 1000 gallons of beer and have purchased only five units of liquid yeast. I choose my strains carefully and wash yeast from the first fermentation (generation) on strains I want to keep around.

Heck, if you wash WLP001 or 1056 that can really brew almost anything...

Quick Reply