Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My shot at a Utopias clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default My shot at a Utopias clone

Brewing this up tomorrow.

First mash, 45 min at 158*F:
10# 2-row

Runoff the first mash to collect 7 gallons, which will then be used to mash in:
18# 2-row
2# Mesquite smoked malt (from Austin Homebrew, smells wonderful!)
1# Caramunich
.5# Special "B"

Second (reiterated) mash rest for 120 min at 148*F, should drop down to 145-146*F by the end. I will run that off to collect 7 gallons, and bring it to a boil for 90 minutes.

Hops:
3oz Summit 90
1oz Simcoe 15

Post-boil target is SG of 1.130. I'll hit it with pure O2 for 90 seconds, pitch 3 packs of Safale US-05 rehydrated with GoFerm, hit it with O2 at the end of the lag phase, and ferment for 3 days at 62*F. Then I'll pitch a 2L starter of actively fermenting WLP099 which has been fed some of the beer on the stir plate, give it a last O2 shot, and add some yeast hulls.

Over the course of the next 10 days, split into 1# additions each day, I will add the following, and stir vigorously for 2 minutes to drive off CO2:

2# Amber DME
4# Corn Sugar
4# Maple Syrup

Once all the fermentables are in the fermenter, I should be at an equivalent OG of 1.205.

At the end of the growth phase, I'll slowly raise the temp up to 68*F, and when it reaches a gravity of about 1.060 I'll bring it up to 70*F, add a tablespoon of boiled bread yeast*, and let it finish out at 70*F. Also, adding 1oz medium toast French oak at this stage.

I'm hoping to get it down to 1.025 or so, which would be 24% ABV. My notes in Beersmith say to "age for eternity".

* The boiled bread yeast is a trick used by mead makers to ensure full attenuation in sack meads. The dead yeast cells absorb toxins which the nutrients produce due to stress from fermenting under high alcohol conditions, allowing the living yeast to continue functioning until they run out of available nutrients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
drac0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm interested to know how this turns out

Old 04-22-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 246 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Boy Eric, that seems like a ton of hops. Our U1 was hopped with a very restrained hand and when we increased the amount of hops in the U2 that wasn't as well received. Just my take on it.

I do like your boiled bread yeast idea. Might need to try that myself to get the U3 to dry out more.

PTN

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Old 04-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
molsonG
Recipes 

mashing with wort, interesting

Old 04-24-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Hit 1.123, but got 5.5 gal. I'll up the sugar additions slightly to compensate. Pitched the three packs of US 05 after rehydrating. Yeast hulls and zinc will go in at the end of the lag along with another shot of pure O2.

The hop bitterness of the wort is assertive but not overpowering. It's like syrup. I chose to go with more hops due to my preference for hoppy big beers, it will be interesting to see how the hops age out.

Quote:

Old 04-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces
Hit 1.123, but got 5.5 gal. I'll up the sugar additions slightly to compensate. Pitched the three packs of US 05 after rehydrating. Yeast hulls and zinc will go in at the end of the lag along with another shot of pure O2.

The hop bitterness of the wort is assertive but not overpowering. It's like syrup. I chose to go with more hops due to my preference for hoppy big beers, it will be interesting to see how the hops age out.
How long do you expect until this one is drinkable?

Old 04-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesilential View Post
How long do you expect until this one is drinkable?
About a year, based on Paul's experience with theirs.

Gave it the shot of O2 this morning at the end of the lag, along with some Wyeast nutrient. Dang fermenter nearly foamed over, even with foam control drops. This is gonna be one exciting fermentation to watch.

Quote:

Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Took a gravity reading, 72 hours into the ferment it's at 1.075 which is about 6.3% ABV. Chris White from White Labs recommends pitching WLP099 below 8% ABV, which is right where I am sitting now, so the WLP099 will go in this evening.

I started the WLP099 starter yesterday on the stir plate, and fed it a small amount of the fermenting beer this morning. Prior to pitching it, I will take 2L of the fermenting beer and blend it with the starter, let it sit in the ferm fridge for about 3 hours to acclimate to the fermentation conditions. Once I pitch that I'll hit the fermenter with O2 for about 90 seconds, add 1tsp of Fermaid K for the WLP099, and dump in 1# of the DME.

Picked up the maple syrup at Sam's Club yesterday. I'll be adding it at the very end of the fermentation to try to preserve as much of the maple flavor as I can.

Quote:

Old 04-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

This morning sitting at 1.042. Added the second pound of DME, tomorrow I'll start adding the corn sugar. From here on out I'll raise the temp 1*F per day until I get to 68*F. The yeast are showing no signs of slowing, they are munching away happily!

Quote:

Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4453 Times on 3241 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
This morning sitting at 1.042. Added the second pound of DME, tomorrow I'll start adding the corn sugar. From here on out I'll raise the temp 1*F per day until I get to 68*F. The yeast are showing no signs of slowing, they are munching away happily!
Wow- this sounds so cool! Keep us informed so we can make a monster beer vicariously though you!

Quick Reply