Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My shot at Dark Lord, brewed on Dark Lord Day!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #41
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

All beers look the same, but that isn't the point amigo we still like to see what yours looks like

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #42
saq
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 11 Posts

Ok you asked for it!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #43
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ahhh, that's nice. Dark SOB for sure. It would be interesting to get a clear wine glass and swirl it and see if there are any "legs" for lack of a better word. That should show the viscosity and alcohol content. Not expecting an action shot, but for your own good might be useful.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #44
FailureDrill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This looks awesome. I bought all the stuff for this and will be pitching it onto a US-05 yeast cake which came from two packets. I'll update it as it goes.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #45
saq
Recipes 

Be sure to aerate the beer a lot and give it some nutrients in the boil, you are going to need help getting good attenuation with this big of a beer!

Old 07-27-2009, 05:52 AM   #46
FailureDrill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this as a 2.5 gallon batch today. Made some changes to the recipe, specifically going only with Warrior hops so I didn't have unused portions. Also, I had a slight bit more Molasses, .75 lbs instead of .63. Other than that no changes. After a 90 minute aggressive boil, I got 5 gallons of wort boiled into 2.5 gallons. I estimated around 60% efficiency would be my goal with such a large beer. Hit 61% with an OG of 1.136. Poured the 2.5 gallons into 6 gallon Better Bottle onto a US-05 yeast cake which came from using two packets of dry yeast on a strong brown ale and then shook the crap out of it till it was a foamy . Within 10 minutes there was blowoff tube activity. Within 45 minutes there was about 3 inches of krausen and climbing. Good thing there is plenty of headspace. Thanks for the recipe, I'll update as it chugs along.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #47
saq
Recipes 

Sounds nice! Good luck with your FG!

Old 07-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #48
slimer

Recipes 

You'll like this style of beer. My version tastes awesome.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #49
FailureDrill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One week in, it is down to 1.035, which puts it at 13.32% It still going to sit in primary for another week, and then probably two weeks in a secondary with some oak chips and vanilla bean (not sure if it will be a bean or extract at bottling). Looks like thats 72% attenuation for that US-05 yeast cake. I think it drop another few points.

The taste was actually pretty smooth and the alcohol burn was not prominent, but in the background. Black as night with a little brown around the edge. The molasses was prominent, but not overpowering, with the tast of coffee and dark chocolate in there also. I'm sure the molasses will tone down a bit as it ages and should blend well with the oak and vanilla.

More updates to follow, thanks for the recipe.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #50
FailureDrill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Left this in primary for 4 weeks. It finished fermentation at 1.032 (13.75% abv) with a very compact trub bed at the bottom. I wanted to try to Oak this so I racked it to a smaller 3 gallon carboy onto 1 Oz. of Lt. American Oak Chips which had been soaked in Vodka for about an hour. After a day on oak, you could smell the aroma similar to bourbon coming through (read Awesome). After eight days on the oak chips, I was able to bottle almost two gallons exactly. I only used 1 oz of corn sugar to carbonate it at the low end of the stout range.

Taste at bottling was great. I could notably taste chocolate, licorice, oak and some vanilla (and I don't have a good palate for these things). The alcohol was not prominent, but present. Definitely viscous, with long brown legs when swirled in the glass. My wife thought it tasted like a "desert beer" and asked that we open a bottle after each Thanksgiving for the next five years. I will have to take her up on that.

This is by far the largest and most complex beer I've constructed to date. I would recommend everyone take on at least one beer this large just for the learning involved. I think I will find myself being a BIG beer addict.

My first one will be cracked sometime around Halloween so I will update with pics then.

Quick Reply