Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My shot at Dark Lord, brewed on Dark Lord Day!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 AM   #31
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts

Racked to a nice and super clean corny today. This beer smelled so good. Its going to need a few weeks to finish up and age properly. Its going to be a hard wait!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #32
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sweet! Sounds like it is coming out very very nice. I love the conical, very nice that it is high enough to gravity drain to a corny.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #33
saq
Recipes 

Did a test from after its been sitting in keg bulk aging (uncarbed) since 5/26. A slight drop to 1.030 so 13.8%! Again this is an uncarbed sample taken at room temperature.

Appearance: Black with some brown at the edge of the glass. Didn't get much foam since I used a thief.

Aroma: Mild to Moderate Dark Roast combine with some slight bready esters. Slight sweetness probably from vanilla and molasses.

Flavor: Heavy dark roasts, unsweetened almost bittersweet chocolate, touch of nuttiness, some dark candied raisin, and a kiss of vanilla on the aftertaste. The flavors are so blended I can barely quite pick any one thing out. Pleasantly bitter, but not excessively like some American styles. An interesting balance.

Overall: Pretty damn good for a uncarbed room temp sample. The alcohol level is not evident in the taste, but it certainly does a good job of warming you up.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #34
saq
Recipes 

Well I kind of overshot the attenuation a bit. It just finished some bulk aging 5-26-09 and am now putting it in rotation for drinking during this weekends brewing. I took a gravity sample @ 65f and it says its at 1.025. That comes out to be roughly 14.41%. Tastes pretty goddamn good! It looks like chocolate milk too which is kind of crazy.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #35
saq
Recipes 

I ended up leaving this guy for bulk aging in the fermeezer a bit longer. I just took a sample and the alcohol bite is almost gone and its starting to taste mighty good! I'm trying to restrain myself from throwing in my last bag of bourbon char!

Old 07-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #36
slimer

Recipes 

Nice! Did you see my thread about mine?

The vanilla/oak intrigued me so I'm doing it to mine as well.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #37
saq
Recipes 

I did a beercation to San Diego and traded some beer with people so I chilled, carbed and bottled this mofo. Here's a sample, its really good!

Appearance: Black. Viscous, with some small brown head.

Aroma: Intense! Dark roasty malt, molasses, burnt toast, hint of cocoa and vanilla bean.

Flavor: Dark roasted malt and barley come through at the front, competing with a big chocolate character accentuated by the molasses. Hints of vanilla bean sneak in and some lingering coffee notes come through at the end.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not as thick as I was expecting probably due to the high amount of honey/molasses that fermented out pretty well. Its pretty clean feeling but very intense.

A higher mash temperature might help get the mouthfeel to its desired point, along with a slightly less attenuative yeast. I might split out 1g of this later into a 1g growler and put some of my bourbon char in as I think that is going to take this beer to amazing territories.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #38
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
I did a beercation to San Diego and traded some beer with people so I chilled, carbed and bottled this mofo. Here's a sample, its really good!

Appearance: Black. Viscous, with some small brown head.

Aroma: Intense! Dark roasty malt, molasses, burnt toast, hint of cocoa and vanilla bean.

Flavor: Dark roasted malt and barley come through at the front, competing with a big chocolate character accentuated by the molasses. Hints of vanilla bean sneak in and some lingering coffee notes come through at the end.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not as thick as I was expecting probably due to the high amount of honey/molasses that fermented out pretty well. Its pretty clean feeling but very intense.

A higher mash temperature might help get the mouthfeel to its desired point, along with a slightly less attenuative yeast. I might split out 1g of this later into a 1g growler and put some of my bourbon char in as I think that is going to take this beer to amazing territories.
Looks really good! I tried mine last night and I think my very early high fermentation temp caused some fusel alcohols, I've got some ingredients to try again though. Really glad it turned out so well for you, awesome

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #39
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I still want to see a picture of a glass of this stuff. I like the shot glass shot, but how about a bigger glass!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #40
saq
Recipes 

I need to do dishes really bad, just got back from vacation. I'll put some of my sampling glasses in the wash tonight and get a proper picture. It looks just like any other stout...

Quick Reply