New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My shot at Dark Lord, brewed on Dark Lord Day!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #21
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 10 Posts

Just checked on it while brewing The Minstrel and its at 1.040! Almost there!
Took a little sip of the sample at room temp. Wow! This is pretty goddamn amazing! VERY thick, super rich, roasty and chocolatey. I'm gonna give it another week, do some dry coffee and vanilla bean aging, and then probably keg it and let it bulk age for a while before tapping.
I can't wait to taste the finished product.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #22
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Picture please!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 AM   #23
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Working up my own clone on this. How did you get the 78% efficiency with the large grain bill?

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-18-2009, 04:06 AM   #24
saq
Recipes 

I've got a blichmann boilermaker w/ blichmann false bottom. I attained about 1.5qt/lbs and did a nice slow sparge and I crushed my own grain, the majority at .25 or so. That's about all there is to it.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #25
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ah ok. I think I'll be planning on a lower efficiency. I'm going all-grain (no LME) and shooting for 1.161 OG (includes molasses and honey). The post-boil gravity will be 1.129. I need the high OG to hit the really high FG I've read about. I didn't have a hydrometer on DLD when I had Dark Lord for the first time, but I have some bottles and when I pop one open I'll check the FG on a degassed sample. I have read it is 1.060 or something insanely high.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #26
saq
Recipes 

I really don't think its that high. I'm pretty positive they use tons of flaked stuff to get the really thick mouthfeel and that causes lots of outgassing which can mess up gravity readings.
When I did a gravity reading the other day it initially said 1.040 and then it slowly crept up to 1.090 after a few minutes. I had to bob it in and out a few times and get a lot of the gasses to escape and eventually it settled at 1.040.
When I pour into my sample tube for a gravity reading I get lots of head development, and the beer isn't even carbonated yet!
Don't forget to include the amount of liquid volume the molasses and honey adds! That can mess up your gravity estimates.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #27
saq
Recipes 

Also, to do a 5g batch you'll need at least a 15g MLT. I only put in some DME because I can only fit 22lbs @ 1.5qt/lbs in my 10g MLT. I've only got a .2g deadspace underneath my false bottom.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:21 AM   #28
saq
Recipes 

I got one large madagascar vanilla bean, it smelled like bourbon! Very delicious.
Chopped it into 4 pieces, split it open and scraped out the insides into a shot glass. Poured in some vodka, let it sit for a few minutes and then poured the whole thing in.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #29
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I measured the FG last night and it was 1.033 I bet yours will slowly work it's way down over time. It foamed over a lot in the tube of course. I let it set for 3 hours till it was outgassed and room temp.

I've started a thread for my recipe
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dark-lord-clone-help-recipe-technique-120103/#post1333497

I really liked your idea of flaked barley so I am using some flaked barley now and flaked oats.

I'm mashing at 1 qt per lb and if my efficiency is as low as I expect I'll be adding boiled DME in the primary when I add honey and molasses to get the calculated OG to where I want it.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 AM   #30
saq
Recipes 

Did a gravity reading and taste test tonight.

1.032! I wonder how much lower its going to get... Anyways, its about low enough to rack to a keg and I really like the flavor development from the vanilla. I'll get a keg super clean and check it again on Wednesday. If I'm happy with it I'll rack and let age for a while longer.

Finished sipping my sample after putting it in the freezer for a few. Wow! I think I nailed it! Its very Dark Lord-esque in its heft, intensity of flavors, but also a sort of smooth balance from the dark roast, chocolate and semi-sweet flavors and a really super thick body. Letting this guy age is going to be hard!

Last edited by saq; 07-09-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply