New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My shot at Dark Lord, brewed on Dark Lord Day!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 10 Posts

I thought about doing Special B instead of Crystal 120, but decided to stick with 120. If I re-brew and alter the recipe that is definitely on the list.

I updated my original post with the final brew dimensions. I did a decoct mashout for the first time, worked like a champ!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
saq
Recipes 

Update on fermentation. I pitched at 11pm on 4/25, I just checked on status 30 minutes ago and it was at 1.090.
I added some yeast nutrient, and stirred the yeast up a bit with my aeration wand and gave it a quick shot of O2, I am also going to increase ferment temp from about 67f to 70f.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
Fermentation is going very strong. The high amounts of flaked stuff I used ended up creating a LOT of proteins for this beer which I think is offsetting the fermcap addition in the fermenter as I'm STILL getting krauzen buildup! I added a few more drops and it died down a tiny bit, but not like the other beers where there is zero krauzen buildup.
My 1.100 Imperial Stout blew off with foam control drops in the fermenter, nearly exploded the bucket! I caught it just in time to find the lid bulging up 4" and carefully relieved the pressure (aka. got yeast in my face and all over the room in the process ).

Lesson learned... A vigorous enough fermentation will just laugh at your foam control. On the plus side I'm pretty sure the head retention of said beer will be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
saq
Recipes 

Fermentation seems to have slowed as expected, added a decanted 5L starter of the same yeast by dumping a little from the bottom of the conical. I LOVE my conical!
1.070 SG Almost there! (Never thought I'd say that about 1.070!)

Old 05-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Patience young jedi. You are a mere week in! Give it a healthy shake of oxygen and make sure those yeast are still happy to get it lower if possible. While you are relaxing and not worrying, take a picture of it to post. I know you have a conical, but we can see with a flash through the top!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #16
saq
Recipes 

Patience is not a problem, it was all planned!
I've done many a high grav brew (this would be my 4th over 13%) that I didn't do as much planning for. The first week is getting it more or less halfway done (where I am now) and the yeast is getting pretty pooped after that. The second 5L starter I started 2 days ago was the cavalry to come in for round 2 nice and fresh to help finish it off.

As far as a picture in the conical... I don't know if you would see very much, just something really black with maybe a bubble or two here and there.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #17
saq
Recipes 

Slowing down but still going. Took an SG of 1.054 tonight, still pretty sweet but starting to taste like a stout! Still lots of foam when I pour out a sample, and very thick like a milkshake! I think my recipe is going to be pretty tasty!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #18
99blackgt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i used special b in my RIS, but i know that 3F uses coffee. It says so right on the bottle. I didn't choose to use any, but i wasn't going for a clone. My recipe is a hodge podge of everythign but i was happy with the wort, we'll see in about a week what it really tastes like

primary -
secondary - Handbanana Russian imperial - 312 clone
KEGGED - adjunct / mexican ipa (agave nectar?)
Bottled - Big stout - Black Stout - Cherry Mead - 100min IPA - Apple cinnamon mead

Old 05-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #19
saq
Recipes 

Once my fermentation is finished I'm going to do a dry addition of some coffee beans and vanilla bean to taste. Hopefully I end up trading 2 bottles of DL with someone so I can do a little taste compare and try and get the same kind of flavor balance.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 AM   #20
99blackgt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

wanna trade a couple of bottles of RIS? I did an ris that started off at 1.125 hoping to finish at around 1.04 or so. It's not a darklord clone, i wanted to go a little different route but i wouldn't mind trading a few with ya just to try out other guys brew

primary -
secondary - Handbanana Russian imperial - 312 clone
KEGGED - adjunct / mexican ipa (agave nectar?)
Bottled - Big stout - Black Stout - Cherry Mead - 100min IPA - Apple cinnamon mead
ARealClassAct Likes This 

Quick Reply