Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My Pliny clone results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
crypt0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My Pliny clone results

So I brewed a pliny clone found on the internet (a pdf at beerdujour) which I believe is vinny's recipe.

It was a blast to make, I really felt like I was crafting a beer on this one. I have had Pliny in the past - I spent a few months in the Bay Area for work and actually made it out to Russian River at one point - so I know what I was shooting for.

So when I finally had it kegged and carbed, it was bitter beyond bitter. So I'm asking for a little help in diagnosing where I might have gone wrong.

Looking back at my process,

The Mash:
- I fell a full 10 points shy of the 1070 recommended OG! I know the hop charts you see specify the recommended IBU's as a function of OG, so this alone could count for all of it. In a feeble attempt to make up some of this OG, I added an additional 12 oz (boiled, cooled) dextrose to my 5G batch to attempt to make up some of the ABV.

Hop AA's:
- I didn't adjust hop quantities according to exact alpha acids - at least for my bittering additions - but after I went back and looked at my hop AA's, they were withing 0.1% of the recipe assumptions. So I think I'm good there

Also, I don't think it makes much of a difference to adjust for the later dry hopping additions - they aren't contributing bitterness to the beer anyways.

I think I'm OK here.

Dry Hopping:

- I dry hopped the minimum specified time, 12 days for first dry hop, then 5 days second dry hop. I put the hops in hop bags since they were mostly pellets, but I didn't start my first dry hop addition for a full couple weeks, and my first dry hop addition basically floated on top of the beer like a raft - i have a hard time believing i extracted much aroma from these hops. The second addition I used a shot glass to force it to sink.

- I didn't start the DH process until well after fermentation had finished. I think when I do this again, I'll start the dry hop mid-fermentation to ensure the yeast is moving the wort through the hops. I'll also add a shot glass to both hop bags to get them to sink.

This area is suspect.

sorry for the length of this post, but I appriciate any feedback anyone can give me on this.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
thegerm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'll ask the obvious question... how long did you boil and when your boil was done how long before your temp was below 175?

Old 10-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 128

For what it is worth, a local homebrewer who I know that has been brewing for a decade or so said that he had to cut back the hops on his Pliny clone. I am not sure which recipe he followed, or how much he cut the hops.

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 10-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
apparatus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have brewed the Pliny clone several times and it always comes out spot on. There has to have been something in your process. Are you sure the hops were weighed correctly and added at the correct time intervals?

Apparatus

Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
crypt0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
how long did you boil and when your boil was done how long before your temp was below 175?
90 minute boil, chilled within about 5-10 mins with an immersion chiller.

Quote:
Are you sure the hops were weighed correctly and added at the correct time intervals?
Yes. I'm wondering if the dry hops had been better utilized, if they would have helped balance the beer.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:19 AM   #6
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypt0 View Post

So when I finally had it kegged and carbed, it was bitter beyond bitter. So I'm asking for a little help in diagnosing where I might have gone wrong.
Sounds like you did Pliny right to me...

Old 10-21-2011, 03:26 AM   #7
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by iijakii View Post
I have never had Pliny. I had never had a homebrew DIPA until tonight, at a club meeting I tried a Pliny clone someone had made. I'm not a hophead, but this beer was simply delicious. The bitterness was balanced by hop flavor, and it was just a terrific beer. I've had commercial DIPAs from Lagunitas, Stone, and others and they couldn't hold a candle to this.

Don't a lot of the hop flavors fade from DIPAs after a while? I've never brewed one b/c I don't like having a small window to drink a big beer.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 10-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #8
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

2 big questions:

A. Are you sure you added 3.5oz CTZ at 90min, and the hops were roughly 13-14% AA?

B. how much wort ended up in your fermenter, and did you take an OG reading after the dextrose was added. Also a FG reading would help

Old 10-21-2011, 03:52 AM   #9
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 601

The recipe you used was the same recipe I used. Very good beer.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
crypt0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I have had real pliny before, at russian river. I found it hoppy but balanced.

Quote:
2 big questions:

A. Are you sure you added 3.5oz CTZ at 90min, and the hops were roughly 13-14% AA?

B. how much wort ended up in your fermenter, and did you take an OG reading after the dextrose was added. Also a FG reading would help
A. Yes. 3.5 oz 14.0% Columbus @ 90 minutes
B. 6 gallons into fermenter from BK.

The beer finished at 1006.

My OG was 1060, and on the second day of fermentaiton i added the extra 12oz dextrose, so it's hard to say what that would have boosted my OG to. Either way its adding way more dextrose then the recipe called for, and it finished extra dry because of it.

At this point I honestly think missing my target OG is responsible for most of the over-bitterness.

Quick Reply