Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My Holiday Porter, Your Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeTaps View Post
Can't wait to see how this one tastes. I'm a big fan of porters now, because of your advice.

On a side note, my Oatmeal Stout turned out pretty good.
Like the Black Marlin, eh? It is a good one. Can't wait to try your stout too... speaking of my porter, I need to rack over to secondary to free up my fermentor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Took a taste of this last night when racking to secondary... The spices weren't prevalent at all really, but I expect they were being covered up by the youngness of the brew. Definitely has a nice roasty porter flavour though, spices or not it's going to be delicious.

I did a gravity reading as well and got 1.015, down from 1.068. Just a shade under 77% attenuation, which is not bad for a yeast that's supposed to top out at 75%. The 6.9% ABV doesn't hurt either

Old 12-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
Gremlyn
Recipes 

One word: DELICIOUS

I actually can't taste much, if any, of the spices I put in! I'm a little miffed about that, but it's still a great beer. I'm going to rebrew after the new year without the spices to compare what they actually contributed to the flavour.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #14
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
One word: DELICIOUS

I actually can't taste much, if any, of the spices I put in! I'm a little miffed about that, but it's still a great beer. I'm going to rebrew after the new year without the spices to compare what they actually contributed to the flavour.
You went with the 4 tsp total? I'm suprised that even given that you added them to the boil you didn't get much character. How fresh were they? Pre-ground spices lose a good deal of their chacter over just 6-12 months.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #15
Gremlyn
Recipes 

The allspice was fresh from the store, but the preground stuff. The ginger was probably 6-12 months old, and the cinnamon...? No idea.

Quick Reply