Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My Holiday beer tastes like rootbeer with a kick

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default My Holiday beer tastes like rootbeer with a kick

Friday we had some friends over and we tapped into my Holiday ale and dang if it doesn't have a smell and taste reminiscent of the rootbeer barrel candies! I spiced with 2 oz of Fancy cinnamon powder and 1 oz of dried lemon peel in the last 10 min'. I was shooting for something fruit cake-ish so I used some Special B and a little Aromatic malt. Base malt was Pils. OG was around 1.06. I fermented with White labs 566 Saison II yeast. When I racked to secodary the citrus wasn't coming through so I added the zest of two oranges. It sat in secondary for a month. FG was 1.006, Force carbed.

These first samples were at cellar temp (50 F). I put the kegs in the kegerator and we had some other friends over two days later and their first impression was more orange in the aroma, then becoming more root beer like as it warmed. I thought it still smelled of root beer from the get go, but I was looking for it. It is slightly disturbing, but actually tastes pretty good. We'll see what people think of it at our party this weekend.

I was originally planning on calling this beer Saison's Greetings, but now that I've tasted it, I've changed the name. I was looking for something root beer related and as an inside joke, a friend suggested Barks (not Barqs). My wife and I have refered to one another as Bark for many many years.

OT back story:
Saying Bark started out as a way to announce myself when visiting her in the lab she was working in at the time so as not to startle her while she was working - it is bark, as in like a seal - we had a small stuffed one. I also used it to announce myself when I called her on the phone. She's terrible at recognizing voices on the phone so I just say "Hi Bark" and she knows it is me. It has evolved over the years such that if I need a hand doing something, it's "Hey bark, can you help me a minute" She will say excatly the same thing if she needed help. We rarely refer to one another by our first names.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Are you sure the root beer aroma/flavor isn't coming from the o-rings on the keg?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It is definitely not the keg. This is a keg I've used many times. Last beer in it was my Ofest. I even autoclaved this particular keg AGAIN as the Ofest tasted like some wheat beer yeast made its way into it. All kegs new to me get autoclaved after a thorough cleaning prior to using them.

I can definitely pick out the cinnamon and the orange. I believe those plus the fruity esters from the yeast combine to create the root beer like flavor

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 12-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 209

I used a bit too much aromatic in a bitters recipe a while back and it had a definite anise (read licorice/root beer), aroma/flavor to it.

Quick Reply