Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > my first recipe, need opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
Gildog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default my first recipe, need opinions

ok ive got my first brew under my belt and i want to make my wife a beer as a way of saying thanks for allowing me to hijack her kitchen for an afternoon a week

i want a cream ale, similar to a bmc(its my wife, im working on her but she still likes the crap) ive never done any recipe making before, but brewsmith is a kickass program

so please be blunt with my recipe, i cant learn if i dont know what im doing wrong, beersmith says its within the limits for creamales, and an important question, i want it to be a little sweet, what do i need to add to do this, also when do i add the strawberries to ge thte best strawberry flavor?

4.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 57.14 %
1.50 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 21.43 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 21.43 %
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.2 IBU
4.00 lb strawberries (Secondary 5.0 days)

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemmingway.

"He was a wise man who invented beer."
Plato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos View Post
Beer fairies help me out all the time.They sprinkle the magic stay awake till you pitch the yeast dust,and everything works out great.It's those damn THC gnomes that say NO! You must pass out and F up your beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Cream ales tend toward the sweet. It's a function of the style.

I presume you're going to partial-mash the pale malt and flaked maize; it's absolutely necessary. If you're on the fence about it, look up DeathBrewer's easy stovetop partial mash thread. Simple as eating pie.

Ferment this with a very clean ale yeast like S-05 or Nottingham.

I'd put the fruit through at least three freeze-thaw cycles before adding the pulp to the secondary for a week or so.

Looks good!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 04-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Gildog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the input, i was planning on a partail mash, and that walkthrough is quite helpfull

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemmingway.

"He was a wise man who invented beer."
Plato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos View Post
Beer fairies help me out all the time.They sprinkle the magic stay awake till you pitch the yeast dust,and everything works out great.It's those damn THC gnomes that say NO! You must pass out and F up your beer!

Quick Reply