The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My first recipe "Hop Noir"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Grimm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default My first recipe "Hop Noir"

I'll be honest I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing when it comes to making a recipe so please bare with me and feel free to make some suggestions. I wanted to make a really Dark Hoppy beer, hence the name.

Specs:
OG 1.076
FG 1.018
IBU 100.5
SRM 38.3
ABV 7.8%

Fermentables:
US Special Roast Malt 2.00 lb 18.2 % 18.9 In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Dark Liquid Malt Extract 6.00 lb 54.5 % 74.8 Start Of Boil
Extract - Traditional Dark Dried 3.00 lb 27.3 % 19.9 Start Of Boil

Hops:
US Magnum 16.0 % 1.00 oz 43.8 Bagged Pellet Hops 50 Min From End
US Chinook 10.5 % 2.00 oz 46.4 Bagged Pellet Hops 30 Min From End
US Cascade 4.5 % 4.00 oz 10.3 Bagged Pellet Hops 5 Min From End
US Cascade 4.5 % 2.00 oz 0.0 Bagged Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped

Yeast:
Danstar-Nottingham

Am I way off here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Have you used that much special roast before? More than I would use for a beer like this.

I would probably have gone for pale extract and steeped some carafa to keep the roast smooth and ensure that the beer dries out enough to let the hops shine. Hops/yeast sound fine to me.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Grimm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nope I sure haven't. (this is my first concoction) I was actually torn between the special roast and the CarafaIII. I thought the special roast might add more biscuit flavor. maybe I should only do like 1lb? or would you recommend swapping it out completely for the carafaIII?

Old 03-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not exactly sure where this beer falls as far as BJCP is concerned. Its not strong enough to be an american barleywine or imperial ipa, its too dark for pretty much everything else, and has no roasted barley or black patent to be a porter or stout. I think you should aim for the upper end of a regular IPA.

I was never really a fan of dark extract. If you are already steeping in some grain, you might as well steep in what you want and not what the extract manufacturer decided to put in there. I think you would be better off with all pale LME/DME and adjusting the adjuncts to 15 SRM. Going with 100 IBU is a little excessive as well. I would back that off to 60IBU with an emphasis on your aroma hops. Dark brown color with plenty of american hops. Smack on with the top of 14B.American IPA

Here are some nice references for you to follow when making recipes:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/...ibuguchart.jpg
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/images/b/ba/SRM.jpg
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category14.php

You don't necessarily need to follow any of this BJCP style stuff. If you want a completely black totally overhopped beer then you should make it. Maybe it will be what you want, maybe next time you will adjust that recipe more to your liking. I think when you make your first few recipes you should try to make "a style", so you can better evaluate your product.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Grimm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well It sounds like it needs a little re-work. and i do think the advice to start with a "style" and go from there is probably very good advice. I'll work on it a bit and re-post. I do want a black beer but i don't want to be much more bitter than say victory's hop-whallop.

Quick Reply