Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My First IPA Recipe (NEED YOUR HELP)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
BrewByBerg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My First IPA Recipe (NEED YOUR HELP)

Hello all,

This is my first time posting on here so bare with me if I'm out of place. But I just wanted some input on the hop schedule of my first IPA. I plan on making a tropical, citrusy, smooth bitter IPA.

I am using a yeast starter with white labs San Diego super yeast, and golden light dry Malt extract. I am still trying to figure out the wort.

Hops: Galaxy, Citra, Amarillo, and Simcoe (for bittering)

Please give me your input on boil schedule. I plan on dry hoping as well. Any input helps!!

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

30 IBUs Simcoe @ 60
1.5 oz. mixed Galaxy & Simcoe @ 10
2.5 oz. mixed Galaxy & Citra @ 0
3.5 oz. mixed Amarillo & Citra @ 7 day dryhop

I like the simple extract malt bill. Shoot for 1.067 to 1.070 OG. Use some sugar as well to help dry it out down to more of an AIPA FG. 8-10% total sugar should work. Crystal malt is optional, but 3-5% of C10, C20, or C40 won't hurt either. Definitely make a starter with the WLP090.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

I'm a big fan of Simcoe but it's a bit of a waste as a 60 minute bittering hop. Do you have any cheap high AA% hops for bittering? I like Magnum, Super Galena and Columbus for IPA bittering hops.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 05-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
bobbrews
Recipes 

If he can get Simcoe at the same price as Columbus then why not bitter with it? The only reason I wouldn't bitter with it is if it was $3 or $4 an oz.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
If he can get Simcoe at the same price as Columbus then why not bitter with it? The only reason I wouldn't bitter with it is if it was $3 or $4 an oz.
I agree with that. I usually pay about twice as much for Simcoe as for Magnum.

Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
bobbrews
Recipes 

Whew!! Pricy pricy.

Yeah, I also like the character offered by characterful bittering hops. Magnum is just too clean for me. Columbus or Apollo are my go-to's.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Whew!! Pricy pricy.

Yeah, I also like the character offered by characterful bittering hops. Magnum is just too clean for me. Columbus is my go-to.
On certain styles yes I can tell the difference in the bittering hops (ie: Amber Ales, Blonde ales) but in an IPA the flavor/aroma hops are going to overpower the bittering hop so my stance is use a clean, cheap bittering hop. Maybe I'm wrong on this but I prefer using the expensive hops late boil, hop stand and dry hop.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Citra as you Flavor and Aroma hop will give you those Tropical flavors you want.... just like BobBrews suggested... Not a fan of Amarillo and might try Palasades because it has a HUGE perfumy nose and that might complement the Citra...

Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
bobbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
On certain styles yes I can tell the difference in the bittering hops (ie: Amber Ales, Blonde ales) but in an IPA the flavor/aroma hops are going to overpower the bittering hop so my stance is use a clean, cheap bittering hop. Maybe I'm wrong on this but I prefer using the expensive hops late boil, hop stand and dry hop.
Really?? I think just the opposite. Pliny uses Columbus early on and you can certainly sense that in addition to the late hops. You want that characterful layered hop character and hop focus in an IPA. In ambers and blondes, you want something more clean to accentuate the malt so Magnum would be more in order there.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Really?? I think just the opposite. Pliny uses Columbus early on and you can certainly sense that in addition to the late hops. You want that characterful layered hop character and hop focus in an IPA. In ambers and blondes, you want something more clean to accentuate the malt so Magnum would be more in order there.
Different tastes for different faces? I like the Chinook Amber I do but then again I'm a hop lover.

The only way to really know would be to brew the same recipe with two different bittering hops and then do a blind taste test.

Quick Reply