Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My First Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
JiHadJoe910
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default My First Hard Cider

So i have the yeast and everything else i need, but i am having trouble picking the apple juice i want to use. Recommendations?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
JonA
Recipes 

Are you doing a sweet draft-style cider or something dry?

I've had really good luck with the Earth's Pride 85% Macintosh Juice from BJs...its 100% juice (not from concentrate) and it's less than $5 a gallon.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
9Frogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Honestly, I have had great luck with Wal-Mart juice. That tap was the most popular one in the kegerator over the holidays!

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her" WC Fields

Old 12-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Frogs View Post
Honestly, I have had great luck with Wal-Mart juice. That tap was the most popular one in the kegerator over the holidays!
It has worked fine for me too. I made a nice little three gallon batch and then, once finished, made Apple Jack. I put it into quart jugs to age.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
JiHadJoe910
Recipes 

so i have heard these two rules. Not from concentrate and non pasteurized. the concentrate i can understand but why does it have to be non pasteurized?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I use pasteurized cider. The one time I used non-pasteurized cider from a local mill it ended up terrible.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

And I've used "From Concentrate" to make some very good ciders. Just make sure there are no preservative or additives.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
9Frogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The Wal Mart juice is 100% juice, with only ascorbic acid (vitamin C) as a preservative. For a 5 gallon batch, I added one pound of corn sugar and one pound of brown sugar dissolved in a quart of water to up the ABV some. That, some Montrachet yeast, force carb it, and it is a continual hit. Good luck and enjoy!

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her" WC Fields

Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #9
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 195

I used 4 gallons of plum cherries that was steamer juiced, but because the fruit had been steamed after fermentation was complete of the juice it smelled like burnt hair. It tasted fine, but yeah smelt horrible and got dumped

Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #10
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

You can use pasteurized juice, as long as it doesn't have potassium sorbate or potassium metabisulfite in it. I think not from concentrate juice makes slightly better hard cider then something reconstituted from frozen juice concentrate. Better then that is any actual apple cider. You can probably pick some up still, but the season is done so I doubt anybody will be getting more shipped in. The same rules apply for the preservatives though.

Real cider is about 6$ a gallon most places. Cheap apple juice is about 4$ a gallon. Cheapo apple juice makes very good cider. Not awesome, but very good. If you want a higher abv then you would get from the gravity of the juice/cider then many people add table sugar to increase the gravity. Typically, juice/cider has a gravity of 1.04 - 1.055. Once in a while you'll get a batch of cider that has a gravity of 1.07, but that's really rare.

If you are going to raise the abv with sugar, plan on letting it age for a while before you drink it. Unless your abv is extremely high, it's drinkable right after fermentation is complete. However, give it 2 months in the bottle and it's much better. 6 months and you'll wonder why you ever bought hard apple cider.

Happy brewing.

Quick Reply